Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 77/17 and would like your opinion on the Bausch & Lomb Elite 4200 6-24x40AO. I use my .17 mostly for gopher shooting up to 150 yards and some target shooting. Is this scope overpowered for my use for closer shots? It's tempting as I can get this new scope at a very good sale price. Looking through it in the store it seemed nice and clear even at the higher power settings. I had a Leupold 4-12 on the Ruger for a while and liked it but it went back on my .270. Currently I'm using a 3-9 power on it without AO which opened up my groups.
Your comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Bausch & Lomb Elite 4200 6-24X 40mm AO

Oricle,

The B&L Elite 4200 is a suburb glass...! ! :eek:

The Bausch & Lomb Elite 4200 6-24X 40mm AO should be just fine for your intended uses...! ! :) You can never have too much power for target shooting...! ! ;)

Regarding 'closer' shots, your field of view will be substantially reduced at the higher powers [16X - 24X], but by using the lower powers [6X - 12X], you should be fine...! ! :)

Gopher = ground squirrel...? ?

When B&L 'bowed out' of the riflescope business, it was renamed the Bushnell 4200, which 'turns off' some people. However, it is still the same glass as the B&L, just with a different name, so far...! ! ;)

Note: You will probably need Medium "Ruger" rings for the 4200, if you don't already have them...! ! ;)

Hope this helps...! ! :)

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Overpowered for closer shots? It would depend on what you were shooting and what "closer" means. Basically you want to see the target and have enough field of view that you can locate it after you shoulder the gun. 6x on a deer at 20 yards might be too much power as you cannot easily tell what part of the deer you are aiming at. However on a USBR target at 25 yards you would probably crank it up to 20x and wish you had another 12-16x. For a rimfire rifle most targets are pretty small so 6x is probably OK for most small game hunting.

Another thing to consider is having 2 scopes - a lighter low-power scope for hunting squirrels under 50 yards, and a heavier higher magnification scope for small animals out to 100 yards. Something like one of the Simmons 1022T 3-9x32AO and a Weaver V-24 or T-36 for example.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have that same scope mounted on a Sako Varmint that I use for target shooting 50 - 100 yards out doors & 50 to 75 feet indoors. I find the fine crosshairs & the 1/4 dot to be perfect for my uses.

The scope is so good that I sold my Weaver Grand Slam 6-20 & I'm ordering a 4200 8-32 x40mm/AO scope for my Sako Range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.