Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

scope mounting

432 5
Hi, I still only have one rifle/ one scope. I have a Nylon 66 and an inexpensive tasco 3-9. I have been having trouble making the scope stay on the rifle though. Every time i mount it, it seems that when i try to turn the power ring, the scope pops off... Is this because im not tightening the rings enough? Thanks
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Weaver 1" Tip-Off Rings

geez4321,

It is most probably the rings themselves that are giving you the problem you describe....! ! :(

I suspect the rings came with the scope in a package deal, and they are made of a soft material like mild steel or aluminum...! ! :(

Get yourself a set of "Weaver" 1" 'Tip-Off' rings and your problem will be solved...! ! :)

Weaver 1" Tip-Off Ring

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
geez4321,
I've read numerous posts of folks dissatisfied with the results when mounting a scope to the Nylon 66 and clones. The receiver and bore change alignment minutely during shooting making the zero shift constantly(this due to the receiver not being "hard mounted" to the barrel). I've no personal experience, this is just what I've read.
Take care,
warren

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Remington Nylon 66

obx22,

As I recall the Nylon 66, the "receiver" is a sheet metal "cover" over the nylon "guts" onto which the barrel is mounted....! ! :(

Possibly adding a 'shim' to each side of the "action" before installing the "cover" [#34] would reduce / eliminate this problem...? ? ;)

Remington Nylon 66 Exploded View

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.