Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Scope issues continue

392 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  SpikeHunter
Well, here I go again.........I had a Simmons 3x9x32 that the nob to change between 3 and 9 power rusted fast, which I still can't figure out how or why since they are aluminum. Got a Bushnell Sportsman 3x9x32 with Weaver see-thru mounts. See thru mounts needed to raise the scope so the bolt wouldn't hit. Sighted in scope, but next time out to the range scope was off. It was suggested to my that the Weaver mounts were not holding solid enought, so I bought an adapter mount to mount Weaver dovetail style mounts on a 22 rail and used Leupold Rifleman rings. The mounts were much more solid.

Took rifle to the range and sighted in at 50 yds and shot 4 shot groups smaller than a dime at 50 yds. Didn't shoot to 100 yds it was raining. We do have a roof over the shooting benches though.

Took the rifle to the range the next morning and the scope was off AGAIN. I sighted it in again and shot to 100 yds. Shot a .5 inch 3 shot group using 34 gr win supremes at 100 yds (my personal best so far). Took the rifle out again in the afternoon and guess what. Point of impact not even close to where it was shooting in the morning, but still had good groups.

Inquired about the Limited Warranty from Bushnell. It is to their disgression whether or not they will honor the warranty on this particular scope. The cost of shipping and parts will cost me more than the scope is worth.

Everything on the rifle and scope mounts were tight. Out of my frustration, I mounted the original 4x Weaver that my late father put on the rifle. I would have liked to put a new and better scope on the rifle, but with a baby on the way I figured I'd best not spend that kind of money at the present time. I will use the 4x Weaver scope until I can save up enought money to put a good variable power scope on the rifle (I am thinking about a Mueller,,,,,,any feedback?).
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3,500 Posts
You didn't mention the rifle the scope is mounted on. I do find the experience with the Simmons odd, my wife used one on a 10/22 and it worked extremely well. But either way you mentioned the Winchester Supreme ammo, so is it a 22mag? If the gun is set up with a 3/8 airgun style rail maybe think about using BKL mounts. the smaller rail when used can allow the scope to move, the design of the BKL mounts prevents it quite well. Hope that helps.

Dave Z.

· Registered
8,285 Posts
I like the newest Weaver rimfire scopes myself, they have a fixed 4x28mm, a 2.5-7x28mm, and a 3-9x32mmAO. You could step up in dollars if possible and IF you wanted a big scope get a Weaver V-16 or 24. I had nothing but problems with Simmons at any price level, and the Bushnells under a hundred bucks weren't much either.

· Registered
3,500 Posts
I have seen the weaver adapters move on the 3/8 grooved recievers as well as 3/8 rings, is it posible that might be where the problem is?

Dave Z.

· Registered
15 Posts
Re; scope issues

The new Weaver's seem to be a great scope. I have a couple V-Series (2-7s) scopes. Fully mutli-coated lenses, H2O, fog and shock proof...bla, bla, bla.
Most of what I own is Leupold and Burris, however, I am not convinced that one needs to spend 3-4 hundred to get a high quality scope anymore. I am very happy with the Weavers and unless I buy used, I will probably continue to buy the Weavers. Meade Optics...the company that makes Meade Telescopes now owns Weaver, Simmons and Redfield. They have supposedly re-egineered the Simmons Pro-Hunter series and now call it the Pro-Hunter Master Series. They are touting it to be an outstanding scope for the price...you might want to look into it. I am not sure if they are on the shelf yet...they were supposed to be out between May and July. They are quite a bit less than the Weaver's. If you are still looking check out The Optic Zone (opticzone.com I think) they had the best prices I found on many scopes.

By the way...nothing wrong w/ a 4x Weaver...they have more than proven themselves from squirrels to water buffalo!!!!

Good Luck. Shoot safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.