Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

scope for 10/22

759 6
I have a 10/22 TNZ and just took it out for the first time today. Man can it shoot It eats just about any ammo you feed it. My problem is my eyes aren,t as good as they used to be and it looks like my Leupold 2-7 x 33 isn,t going to to do the job for me anymore. My son was cutting the same hole with it and using federal match ammo. I couldn,t do that myself . I need more power I was thinking somewhere in the 12 power range but I want it adjustable for hunting tree rats. whats the best choice out there. don,t want to break the bank either

Thanks in advance

Rick:) :)
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Weaver V16 is a 4X16 scope that has an adjustible objective. I have a Weaver KT-15 which is a 15X fixed but works like a dream. They don't cost a ton and work quite good, bright scope, clear and from my experience reliable!

Dave Z.

·
Premium Member
12,486 Posts
I'd try a Swift #676 ( 4X12 AO ) from EABCO. They are only about $115 (available gloss, matte, silver) and are very clear and sturdy scopes for the money. I've got one on my .45-70 with no prioblems so you should be able to use it for about 200 years on a 10/22!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't try any of the cheap scopes recommended. I'm 55 years old, and my eyes never were any good. My glasses are thick, and as I've aged, I need more and more light to see. While more power will brighten the scope up to a certain level, what you really need is more resolution. And you can only get that by spending money.

My 10/22 (which by the way is box-stock) wears a leupold 1.5-5x20 Vari-XIII. This little scope has great resolution, is good power for the practical range of the gun, and is bright enough for most conditions. Parallax is not a problem because of great depth of field at the usable powers of the scope. I have shot a lot of groung squirrels with this rig.

Let me repeat: Great Resolution! You can only get this by having good glass combined with good coatings. That's why the high end scopes cost more. There is no substitute for this, and you will only be disappointed by buying less than these benchmarks.

Precision Ground Glass
Fully Multicoated Optics
Of course it has to be put together in a quality manner.

BTW I looked through a Swift scope last weekend at a gun show, and while it may be a good value for the money (it was $145) the view was simply awful compared to a Vari-XIII.

And at our age there is no substitute.

The German and Austrian scopes are best for this, but beyond the reach of most of us.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Simmons 44 Mag

I bought the Simmons 44 MAG - as a fill in till I could get a Leupold 36d for benchrest shooting.
Guess what the simmons has a clearer, sharper image than my leopold benchrest models I bought later. Only problem the cross hairs are a little big for serious benchrest shooting. However being able to adjust it for my poor eyes more than make up for it.
Great scope at 1/4 the price of my leupolds!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with will.Buy the absolute best scope you can afford.Quality glass cost money.The cheap scopes are just that.No offense to Pilot but I've owned two simmons 44mags and they were absolute junk as far as durabilty.I ruined one on a muzzleloader and one on a 30-06.After just a few shots they wouldn't zero and when you took them off the gun and shook them there was stuff rattling around in them.I realize this scope is going on a rimfire but I will never buy another simmons period.It doesn't matter if you have "young"or"old"eyes, any eyes see better through good glass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.