Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the planning stages of a long range big game hunting rifle. I have not been in the LR game long and would like to ask what most folks are using for their long range optics. I know Nightforce is popular along with Huskema and the big Sightrons. I am looking for a zero stop setup with a simple, uncluttered reticle. Weight is also an issue. Not going light sheep rifle but don't want to be much over 10 pounds or so. Open to suggestions. I have a Sightron SII 6-24x50 with target dot that works well from the bench for testing and I like it on my varmint rifles. I could find a turret maker for dial and shoot setup. Thanks.

· Registered
3 Posts
If not too expensive the
Swarovski 10x42 EL Range Binocular/Laser Rangefinder V II
is an amazing scope good out to a mile. Check it out. I have one mounted on Christensen ARMs 6.5 PRC with carbon wrapped bbl. It is overkill for that round, something with more range would be a better choice under it, but I have yet to try the combo on long distance as yet. Was out deer hunting but had no shooters.

· Registered
12 Posts
I am in the planning stages of a long range big game hunting rifle. I have not been in the LR game long and would like to ask what most folks are using for their long range optics. I know Nightforce is popular along with Huskema and the big Sightrons. I am looking for a zero stop setup with a simple, uncluttered reticle. Weight is also an issue. Not going light sheep rifle but don't want to be much over 10 pounds or so. Open to suggestions. I have a Sightron SII 6-24x50 with target dot that works well from the bench for testing and I like it on my varmint rifles. I could find a turret maker for dial and shoot setup. Thanks.
Try TORIC 34MM ELR Rifle Scopes.

· Registered
719 Posts
If not too expensive the
Swarovski 10x42 EL Range Binocular/Laser Rangefinder V II
is an amazing scope good out to a mile. Check it out. I have one mounted on Christensen ARMs 6.5 PRC with carbon wrapped bbl. It is overkill for that round, something with more range would be a better choice under it, but I have yet to try the combo on long distance as yet. Was out deer hunting but had no shooters.
Having a set of Binos mounted on a rifle ??????? Interesting !!!! Who's mounts did you use ?

· Registered
719 Posts
I'm a fan of Nightforce. The 5.5-22x50 NXS should be all you need or want.

· Registered
27 Posts
Unfortunately the reticle you sound like you want is going to drive you towards Leupold in my opinion. It's hard to find the old duplex or similar reticles. Most scopes now are either Mil or MOA hash reticles. You may want to consider looking at some of the less busy ones. The Nightforce mentioned has one of the less busy hash reticles.

· Registered
2,192 Posts
IMO, if you're serious about going long range you should be looking a FFP Mil dot reticle scope and learn how to use it. They are pretty easy to learn and put into use and once you've used a Mildot reticle for shooting and set up your dope card you won't go back to a standrd duplex again..
Doug at Cameraland above- a supporting vendor on this site - would be a great resource. He will give you straight answers from feedback and recommend a scope in your budget and for your purposes. I would personally look seriously at the Athlon line. Lots of different reticle choices, adjustment ranges, great parllax controls, zero stop, etc.. for very attractive prices. I have a couple and I like them a lot... and CameralandNY carries them and is having a huge sale right now...

· Registered
424 Posts
Your search is almost identical to mine- about 1 year ago. I'll spare you the details... I wound up with a Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x42 on my custom .223 hunting rifle.
Frankly, 15x is more than I need in almost any hunting situation. But the scope performs well and and is a good value for $900 +/-. It weighs 19 oz.

If I were doing this again, today, I'd look hard at the Leupold VX III series. These are fantastic hunting scopes, IMO.

· Registered
197 Posts
How far is "long range" hunting? Leupold VX3hd 4.5-14 x 40 CDS side focus is affordable and extremely effective for me to 5-600 yds, I try to keep shots 500 or less. At 700 yds and beyond the wind gets the better of me too often to make a 700 yard shot on a live animal an option for me.

· Registered
197 Posts
When I go west or Alaska I carry a 30-378 wby with a Burris Eliminator. It is a very effective tool also. I'm pretty confident with this set up(the scope gives me a wind baseline) beyond 600 but still try to limit my shots to 5-600.

· Premium Member
306 Posts
I have a Leupold VX-6 3-18x44 with Firedot reticle. The Firedot Reticle has a very clean sight picture. Super clear glass. Custom Dial with zero stop included once you send them your ballistic data. Lifetime Warranty. I really like mine.....They also make 4-24.
Strictly hunting, I am with this guy^^^. VX6 HD is a great scope, and VX6 over VX 5, you can dial wind easily if that is your game, exposed turret.

· Registered
Vudoo v22s, BSA Intl MK III, CZ 452, DelTon .223, Savage Mod B 20 ga Dbl, BSA Intl.
24 Posts
Try ARKEN Scopes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts