Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Scope - Bushnell 4200 or Sightron II BigSky?

819 18
I have a Varmint Extreme in .223 Rem and am planing to upgrade the scope from a Bushnell 3200 4-12x to a 6-24x... My choice at the moment is split between the Bushnell 4200 6-24x 40mm AO with dot reticle and a Sightron SII Big Sky 6-24x 42mm AO with dot reticle...

Which would you choose and why?

Thanks,
:harry:Mitch & Shadow:dogrun:...
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have a Varmint Extreme in .223 Rem and am planing to upgrade the scope from a Bushnell 3200 4-12x to a 6-24x... My choice at the moment is split between the Bushnell 4200 6-24x 40mm AO with dot reticle and a Sightron SII Big Sky 6-24x 42mm AO with dot reticle...

Which would you choose and why?

Thanks,
:harry:Mitch & Shadow:dogrun:...
they're both good ones , but i lean towards the sightron , as some friends have different models , & they're very nice !! i'm saving for a 3x9x36 a/o .

·
Premium Member
12,486 Posts
Of the two you mention, I would choose the Sightron. The Bushnell model you mention is too limited in adjustment range. Check the specs carefblly before you buy.

·
Premium Member
6,111 Posts
I have a sightron on my cooper MTV 223. Its not a big sky. I thinks its a II series 6 X24. NIce scope, just wish the reticle was a bit thinner. I have a 4200 on my annie 1730. Nice scope but they are really long. I agree, I put a Leupold VX3 6.5 X 20 EFR with target knobs on my 221 FB Varmint extreme. Looks great. The Leupolds are a very handsome scope. I will definitly put a leupold on my 6mmbr VE when I get it in October. Probably will go for a 30mmm tube model.

·
Premium Member
6,111 Posts
If you go sightron, check out Lock Stock and Barrel. Thats where I got mine. Every once in a while they have a good sightron sale.

·
Premium Member
6,111 Posts
I shot my one hole group with my cooper 22-250 phoenix at 100 yards with a sightron series II 6 x24X. Check out SWFA, they have sightrons as well.

Did I mention my one hole group I shot last week??

·
Premium Member
6,111 Posts
Did I mention my one hole group???

Cooper Phoenix 22-250
Sightron Series II 6 X 24
100 yards

·
Registered
15 Posts
ShadowChaser, I have the Sightron 6-24X42 SII Big Sky on my Phoenix in .204 Ruger. I love it! It has target knobs with nice tactile feel, 1/8 MOA target dot, and very fine reticle lines which have not been a problem to see in the fields of western Kansas. Bright, clear optics. Spent weeks comparing scopes and specs, viewing in shops, and the Sightron won hands down. Was lucky enough to get one on sale at Midway at the end of 2008 for about $140 less than their current high price due to exchange rates, etc. Good luck with your search and shooting.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Take a look at the new Bushnell 4200 6-24 side focus, it is smaller than a Leupold 6.5- 20, about the same weight and has a constant eye relief when you go from one power to another, the optics are great and with some careful shopping they can be had for around $450.

I have one on my classis 222 and it has quickly become my favorite scope, I do have Leupold 6.5 - 20's on my varminters but they are going to be replaced by the 6-24 Bushnell 4200's.

drover

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And the winner is - Sightron SIIB62442D

Gentlemen, Thank you for your comments and advice...

This is a decision I have been pondering over for weeks, seems the more I think about it the harder the decision became to make. I have always liked Bushnell scopes, I have two that I am very happy with however what I have seen and heard of Sightron scopes and the fact that Baush & Lomb and Bushnell have parted company combined wth my recent purchase of the Sightron "Electronic" sight (Red Dot) for a pistol and liking it very much has been a major influence on my thinking. The fact that Sightron has an unlimited warantee and the scope cost me only $80 more than the best price I could find on the identical Bushnell was another factor.

This morning I called Bear Basin and placed an order for the SIIB62442D and if all goes according to plan, hopefully before long I'll be forming my own opinions of the Sightron Big Sky series scopes...

Thanks, :harry:Mitch & Shadow:dogrun:...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.