Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is that? At my range, on the rifle and pistol lines, slugs are okay, but not shot. There is a 30 yard patterning line, and a trap range, but that's all.
Surely it's not because they're "Scary Looking", is it? :confused:
oldlib

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
There are a couple reasons the range I RO at does not allow shotguns.

Primary reason is safety. A rifle range is designed to be safe for rifles, not shotguns.

1st, the berm is not high enough to ensure it would catch all the pellets. An approved shotgun range actually needs more backdrop (by a whole lot) than a contained high power rifle range.

2nd, what would you shoot at? A target on a target stand? Think the pellets would be a bit harsh on the stand. If you wanted to shoot at clays, you'd be back to needing a lot more backdrop than a rifle range would allow and the RO would have kittens with a guy swinging a shotgun around at a rifle range.

3nd, We've put up barriers, basically wood walls filled with gravel to stop any high strays. Again, the pellets would flat tear those, or the supports up.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense. I'd also have kittens if I saw someone waving a shotgun around - anywhere. ;)
I was looking at an ad for redi-target, and thinking how cool it would be to actually use one. I guess what I want to do, really, is plink. I want to see what my gun will do at various distances (mostly <20 feet) and with various loads.
I guess I'll be content with shooting slugs at targets (looks like fun anyway) until I find a safe place where I can shoot freely. Out in the desert, maybe.
Thanks,
oldlib

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.