Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot at a box of sand, and every couple hundred rounds I sift through the sand and retreive the bullets. I put them in old peanut butter jars until I have enough lead to melt down into something.

Anyone else do this, or am I just weird?

·
36,633 Posts
chicken_little said:
I shoot at a box of sand, and every couple hundred rounds I sift through the sand and retreive the bullets. I put them in old peanut butter jars until I have enough lead to melt down into something.

Anyone else do this, or am I just weird?
Many people that cast their own bullets retreive range lead. Very common practice. Others use it to cast fishing sinkers or toy soldiers!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Good Deal

Like was said earlier, you are doing the environment a favor. And heck, I think it great to reuse stuff. We are just too used to a use it once and throw it away system (IMHO).
Keep up the good work. I just wish there was a way to do this at the range I shoot at :(
Jim

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hey, I played with some today too. A 200 pair lead sheath telephone cable placed into service in 1929. :D OH, maybe they don't want you to know that! :eek:

Maybe I've played with too much of it, it's about like paint chips I guess.

:confused:

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I think it's a great idea. I've cast a zillion round balls for my old muzzleloaders but I always just bought plumber's lead.
I wish there was some way to recycle rimfire brass. I cleaned up the shooting table and porch the other day and weighed the brass I picked up---
1 lb. and 14 ounces.:p

·
Registered
674 Posts
Pdwight said:
Man I have cast some good bullets from those in the past. Its hard to find that stuff nowadays. Say what is the valve like a bicycle tube for...Nitrogen ??
Yes it is! The pairs are insulated with paper, not plastic. So, if it gets wet everybody talks to everybody else. Not a good thing, so we try to keep pressure on it to keep it dry. That's what we were doing today, looking for leaks.

If any of it comes down in the near future I'll save it for anybody that may be interested.

Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.