Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.

For a hunting, plinking, carry all day day in the woods everything .22 which one would you pick?

Savage MKII LV

CZ American

Also, on Savage`s website, it looks like the LV has more of a yellow laminated stock than a grey one.
What does yours look like? Like a green/grey laminated stock{exmpl. Ruger VBZ} or an off yellow.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
CZ:t :t
Paul

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW

Any particuler reasons why. I have heard nothing but good things about the LV and it is 100$ sheaper. Another 100$ I could use on a scope. I have one more Q. What scope would you chose to sit atop either one of these BEutiful rifles?

Keep Shootin`

Rancher

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
For your purposes...

Rancher said:

<snip>
For a hunting, plinking, carry all day day in the woods everything .22 which one would you pick?
<snip>
I'd say a compact 3-9x should fill the bill nicely.
Paul

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you look for one of the CZ 452 Specials for <$200 I think you'll be happy. For a plinker/hunter 4X would work just fine. A 3-9X gets to be a bit shakey when on 9X and keeping track of multiple hold over positions when you change the power adds to the time of your shot when it has to be quick. But they are nice when you are at the range hitting paper. If you do get a CZ remember the scope rails on the Lux and Special are 11mm, the American fits normal .22 rings. You can do a search under the CZ section for ring recomendations. I personally bought Beeman air rifle rings which are 11mm and are available for 1" or 30mm scopes.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I would go with the cz. they are a more accurate gun. The savage will do what you want to do, but it will not give you the accuracy a cz will. The cz disadvantages though are they more expensive, some have 11 mm rings needed, and wood stocks and not laminate, and the bolt is a little rough until broken in.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
The CZ is an excellent rifle, but so is the Savage. The CZ trigger will be better than the Savage, the Savage should be a little smoother on the action at first. But one thing I would suggest is that the CZ should be a little lighter due to the wood rather than laminate stock, and since your talking about carry in the woods all day this might be a factor.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Just took a look at thier web sites. CZ American is 6.1 lbs and the Savage MKII LV is 6.5 lbs. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
CZ 452 is a great gun, i was shooting 1/2 groups with it at the range my second time out with it. Bolt is a little stiff at first, but some Tetra gun grease does wonders. Do not be affriad of the 11mm dovetail, most manufacturers of good quality rings have them, might just have to order some from a shop.

Also if you look at the quality of the Savage v. the CZ, I think the CZ has higher quality machining-better fit and finish.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
The fit and finish of the CZ is more like a centerfire rifle than the typical 22. The barrel is screwed into the receiver and that helps in the accuracy department. I can't comment directly about the Mark II LV but I have a G model. The Savage had a lower initial cost but the CZ is by far the better value.

If you are worried about cost, the CZ with iron sights will outshoot a scoped Savage, IMHO.

Buy the CZ you will not regret it.

As Doc Ken used to say about the CZs:

"You can pay more, you can pay less, but you can't get more for less"

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you can get a good price on the CZ, go for it. If not, the Savage is a very accurate rifle for the money. I've got a Mk-II LV and am very happy with it. Out of the box, the trigger pull is fairly heavy but will lighten up some after several hundred rounds. I've got a BSA 3-12 X 50 in Weaver high mount rings and shoot playing cards at 100 yds. It'll hit em all day long. The laminated stock is a dark grey with a little natural wood color showing through. I like the way it looks much better than the hardwood or synthetic stocks. Overall I'm very pleased with my Savage. Another plus, I can buy spare 10 round mags at any Wal-Mart for $11 each.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Savage is OK but the CZ is a better choice if you are serious about accuracy. Check out both & I think you will agree that the CZ has the edge in fit & finish,a better trigger,which can be made superb with "Brookies" spring kit. Get a CZ now before the factory realizes what a bargain they are offering a raises the price.:t ;)

·
Registered
486 Posts
I saw a mark 2 on gunbroker, claiming to have a 14 oz. trigger using the rifle basix trigger mechanism. He shows targets of about .2 at fifty yard I believe. If th CZ had a laminated stock, they'd look even better. Also, why doesn't anyone make custom stocks for the 452?

·
Registered
31 Posts
hhhmmm

I have owned 2 cz's and was not satisfied with either, so i sold both of them and have not ever had another one.
But I do have the savage mark11 fv and it works great and accuracy right out of the box, you cant ask much better!! I know alot on here may not like them, but if you have not tried one, try it before you knock it!! I 've won shooting matches with it,and also have a ruger 10/22 fixed up nice as well that is a tack driver!
Im not knocking anyone elses opinions or thoughts, just I know what I can do with mine and how well it performs on the range or moving targets too,,LOLOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.