Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone here, this is my first post but I have lurked here off and on for a very long time :)

I'm looking for some help on finding the correct magazine for an old Savage 22 rifle I just received. Using the search function I have just about decided I have an early model 19. On the barrel just behind the barrel band it is marked:

Manufactured by Savage Arms Corp.Utica N.Y. USA
Patented Nov 28 1905 Sept 7 1915 Sept 4 1917 Nov 20 1917
And above the ejection port: 22-long rifle.

The serial number is located on the end of the receiver, it has a hole forward of the trigger guard for the trigger adjustment, and the barrel measures 25 inches. The sights are a brass bead front post, and buckhorn rear mounted at the rear of the ejection port. The ejection port is squared off at the front and rounded at the rear. The bolt has a concave cocking piece and the forward 1 1/4" is milled flat on two sides. The stock is walnut with finger grooves on both sides, and sling swivels. It has a steel butt plate with the Savage Quality logo.

If I am correct and this is a model 19, I would appreciate it if someone could help me out on the correct type magazine for it. Will magazines from other Savage 22's work? Pictures would be extra helpful. The mag well has a groove cut in the rear and a leaf spring located at the front.

By the way thanks for all the great info I've already found here!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
These magazines are pretty pricey for an original one.The don't all fit the same either.I have one gun that I've tried a bunch of original mags for and none fit.I have another and the first mag I found fit perfect.They make aftermarket ones and most of them need a little fitting to make work.Usually the problem is that the mags fit too high or too low and you have to file the slot in the rear of the magazine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am not positive, but if it has an adjustable trigger, I believe that it would be a model 1922. The 1922 was a transition model between the model 19, and the model 23. As the dates indicate the model 22 had a short production life. The advise that Ken gave still holds.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
it's not a 1922, they had sporter style stocks with a schnabel forend, no grooves. They weren't really a transition between the 19 and the 23, which were made during the same time period (at least for a while, I believe..) the 1922 was the precursor to the 23 sporter, and only made for one year - 1922.

·
Registered
942 Posts
It is probably a 19-33 if it is not a 19NRA, 1922, or 23. you say it has a leaf spring in front, and a slot in the back. when you remove the barreled action from the stock is the extractor integral with the piece that the slot is cut in, such as in this picture

or is it more of a rough U shape with the extractor piece separate, and a cross cut place for you to release with your finger.

If if is the integral piece you need the 5 round with a knurled knob on the bottom for you to pull it loose with. No longer in production you have to watch e-bay and other auction sites for them. just search for 19NRA magazine, 23A magazine, or something to that effect. They usually go for $45-$65 depending on seller and condition

The one in my picture is a 7 round replacement magazine Numrich sells here
http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=197520C&MC=
and as aforementioned, you may have to modify the rib oon the back of the mag to get it to fit.

The other release style (finger) magazine is still available from brownells

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7944&title=.22+RIMFIRE+CLIP+MAGAZINE

you'll need stock number 533-400-355

That should solve it all for ya. if you have anymore questions, I have the entire 19NRA broken down on my site http://home.comcast.net/~agoetz2005/savagepics.htm

Hope this helps
Andrew

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Andrew - thanks for the links & pics.. Will that Numrich 7-rounder work with a 1922? I can't remember exactly the configuration of the mag latch, I haven't had it apart in a while. I have the original magazine that I got with the rifle (only marked "savage sporter" - not 23 or 19 or anything like that, knob on the bottom) and the two additional 23 mags with the knob that I picked up off ebay. Original mag is pretty worn, doesn't feed well, and I haven't fooled with the other two yet to fit them to the rifle, they feed a little rough at times. Actually, I don't shoot the rifle all that much, just a little now and then for the fun of it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'm not sure about the 1922, I have never seen, nor held one. the dividing lines between all of these models seem to be quite slim. If you had pictures of the rifles that would be very helpful.

Alternatively you may try the savage forum over at www.24hourcampfire.com There are a bunch of top quality guys over there

Andrew

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help everyone!!!!!

Andrew your pics and links help alot :)

The two pieces that form the magazine well in my rifle differ from your picture a little. The forward section, the one I refered to as a leaf spring is identical except for the angle of the bend. Yours is closer to a 90 degree angle than mine. The rear piece is not like the one in your picture. It is bent slightly more than 90 degrees, is slotted on the vetical leg and has a hole in the horizontal leg. It does not have an integral ejector. The ejector is pinned in a slot in the barrel. Also the center mount bolt is one piece instead of the two shown in your picture.

Are you saying that either of the two magazines you provided links for will work? The Numrich 7rd or the Brownells 5rd ?

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
942 Posts
It's no problem really. My fiance's dad gave me my 19NRA, and it was one hell of a time figuring out what it needed. I got 2 Original mags for $90, and an repro. for $33. I sold an original, and repro to KenW, and kept one for myself. Few weeks earlier on this post, and you may have had it. I also had to buy the rear sight with the curved base, and 2 diff size mounting screws had to be custom made to match the originals.
Free gun
$123 - magazines - $70 for sale = $53
$65 Sights
$75 - custom machine, head match, and blue mount screws

Free gun costs $193 - which is about what they're selling for in the condition mine is in. EXPLAIN THAT ONE TO ME

The divisions between these guns as I said are very small, and alot of parts can fit between and still function.

Hope you get yours up and running
Andrew

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The two clips that I got from Agoetz2005 worked fine in my 1922 but fit poorly in my 19.The original clip has a hard time going in the model 19,yet is perfect in my 1922.I have tried 4 other original mags for my 1922 before I found one that worked perfect.I've seen the original magazine at shows selling for up to $85.00.I feel it's a bit high considering the valu or these models.However,I feel it's worth it to get one of these fine rimfires going.

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
early model 19

rln said:
Hello to everyone here, this is my first post but I have lurked here off and on for a very long time :)

I'm looking for some help on finding the correct magazine for an old Savage 22 rifle I just received. Using the search function I have just about decided I have an early model 19. On the barrel just behind the barrel band it is marked:

Manufactured by Savage Arms Corp.Utica N.Y. USA
Patented Nov 28 1905 Sept 7 1915 Sept 4 1917 Nov 20 1917
And above the ejection port: 22-long rifle.

The serial number is located on the end of the receiver, it has a hole forward of the trigger guard for the trigger adjustment, and the barrel measures 25 inches. The sights are a brass bead front post, and buckhorn rear mounted at the rear of the ejection port. The ejection port is squared off at the front and rounded at the rear. The bolt has a concave cocking piece and the forward 1 1/4" is milled flat on two sides. The stock is walnut with finger grooves on both sides, and sling swivels. It has a steel butt plate with the Savage Quality logo.

If I am correct and this is a model 19, I would appreciate it if someone could help me out on the correct type magazine for it. Will magazines from other Savage 22's work? Pictures would be extra helpful. The mag well has a groove cut in the rear and a leaf spring located at the front.

By the way thanks for all the great info I've already found here!!!!!!
:t ..... :D . From a post i put out earlier you seem to have one of the same as I have.should have the NRA aperture site in the rear (very hard and expensive to find) post following ... I got the Sav. to nite. It appears to be just a 19 as there is no model number on it or serial # (see below). I compared it with the post of RSV1MOS and it differs from all of his. The bbl is stamped "Manufactured by Savage Arms Utica NY. USA" and "patented Nov 28,1905 -Sept 7 1915 -Sept 14,1917-Nov.20,1917" .22 long rifle is stamped on the top of the reciever above the ejection port. as stated no model # or visiable serial #. single hole peep site mt. [only the base remains] additional screw hole on top of the bbl. approx 2" fwd of the ejection port.Front site dovetail part is all thet remains [blade missing] Bolt flat faced /miled ....double strike fireing pin design,but this one cocks on closing the bolt..... hole for trigger adjustment{ haven't tore it down yet,can't feel a screw thu the hole] Intergrated barrel/reciever with no vent on the left side and the loading port is square in the frt and rounded in the rear,[NOT scouped out oval like the Match rifles] Stock is 40" with the ribbed indian head butt plate. It appears to an earlier model.anyone with any info. help me out OH there is a serial # on the breach face... [email protected]

Mossbergman

Congratulations, you have one of the early model 19's, the cocking piece on the end of the bolt should be cupped inwards. The serial number should be stamped on the round end of the receiver where the bolt goes in, you may have to clean it off to see it. Even if it's in poor concition, you did very well. If the bore is decent and it headspaces ok, you can restore it. Bob

Hope this is of some help.--Mossbergman--Jim--

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.