Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a savage 24 se at an auction today for $210 and when I shot it at home it was shooting high. I then adjusted the ramp ght all the way down but the problem wasn't fixed. After removing the ramp from the rear sight it is shooting about one inch high at 25 yards. I would like any advice on how to fix this problem other than putting a scope on it. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Higher front sight

bullhead said:
I picked up a savage 24 se at an auction today for $210 and when I shot it at home it was shooting high. I then adjusted the ramp ght all the way down but the problem wasn't fixed. After removing the ramp from the rear sight it is shooting about one inch high at 25 yards. I would like any advice on how to fix this problem other than putting a scope on it. Thanks for any help.
You need a higher front sight, or a lower rear sight it sounds like to me. Not sure what your gun looks like, and whether or not the front sight can be changed. Is this the Over/Under rifle shotgun combo gun?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Making a temporary higher front sight

bullhead said:
It is the rifle/shotgun combo and the front sight is removable so I will have to buy a new one.
You can make a temporary front sight out of a flat head screw. File the screwhead to fit the dovetail fairly tight, then file the screw length down as you shoot it to get the correct height. Make it somewhat higher than the original to start with.

Make sure the gun is UNLOADED each time you file a little bit down.

Then measure your screw, and order the closest aftermarket sight to that height.

A brass flat head screw is easiest to fit and file. A #10/32 Flat Head screw usually fits a standard dovetail with minimal filing. Your dovetail may be smaller than the standard 3/8" width though.

Hope this helps. Happy and SAFE Shooting! Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.