Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Savage 23AA stock

929 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  hornetman
Picked up a 23AA at the local gun show to day. Stock almost unblemished and metal about 95%. The stock is not original as the s/n as it is in the 15XXX range and the rifle s/n is 1474xx. The stock is uncheckered and I understand 23AA stock are checkered. No rear sight but stock is releived on the left side for a receiver sight and there are 2 mounting hole in the receiver. Also has a Scope mount drill and taped on the left side( 4 holes). Bore is good. The stock looks like the pictures I have seen of 23AA but is uncheckered. Could this be a model 23A stock. I can take pictures but don't know how to post them. Gave $120.00 for it . :)
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
I don't believe all 23 AA stocks were checkered(mine is -sn 145xx). I'm looking at a picture of one in my 1940 stoger's catalog and it is uncheckered. I have the original hanging tag and instruction sheet for my rifle and it shows an uncheckered stock in the picture. My guess is that it certainly came both ways since my stock is original and serial numbered to the rifle. The two holes in the top of the reciever are for the no. 10 rear sight(19NRA). per my original parts list and the stoger catalog.

· Registered
30 Posts
I believe there was a deluxe version of the 23AA that had the checkered stock.
Also, I read somewhere that the stocks were numbered, but not the same # as the rifle serial #.
Check the Savage collectors on the 24 hour campfire on this they probably have the information.

· Registered
846 Posts
I just saw a 23aa today too!

Isn't that ironic? The one I saw is on consignment at a local shop. Was originally $175 and is now at $165. It is in VERY good shape. A few SMALL dings, but overall, the wood and blue finish are extremely good for it's age. I am seriously thinking of making an offer. Has the original iron sights, etc. Looks like it was really well cared for over the years. How do they shoot? Are they pretty accurate?

· Registered
30 Posts
In my experience they shoot quite well. I have many 50 yard groups that are in the nickle size, and with wolf match I have shot groups of about 1/2 in. A friend of mine has a 23AA that he has shot a group of a 1/2 in. with $10.00 box Lapua ammunition. This just shades the groups I get with Agulia match rifle. All of these groups are with scoped rifles. I use either a 2-7X air rifle scope, or a 6-24X BSA scope.

· Registered
81 Posts
You know, I just assumed that the number under the buttplate on my stock was the same as the rifle's serial number because I know the stock is original to the rifle. However it is not -very similar , but not the same. My rifle has the number 10 peep sight, and I replaced the front with a 17 Lyman. Accuracy is on a par with the 69 and 75 Winchesters and 513 Remingtons with a variety of standard velocity ammo. It prefers some 30 year old CCI Mini-group.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.