Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For people who have sanded out the factory stock for a bull barrle how did it come out? Do you like it? I'd like to see some pics if you have them. Also i think i remeber reading about cutting the end off at a 45deg angle anyone have pics of that as well. If you don't mind telling me what method you used that would be helpful too.

-TH

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
my first change to my 10/22. I'd cut off the end of the stock, hit it with my palm sander for most of the big work, a sheet of paper for the rest, and threw some paint on it. I'd already widened the channel for the .920 barrel, but didn't have it yet, so the stock one was stuck back in it and I tried my hand at bedding the barrel. Turned out good, and shot real nice.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good. I was thinking about using a darker stain and refinishing the stock. How far back did you cut the end of the stock off and what method did you use to sand the barrrle channel?

I know there has to be more then one person who has done this..

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I cut the top from where the barrel band went (back side) and went down, adn then rounded it at the bottom. I thought about staining it, but I'd already decided that I was going to replace the stock, in fact by the time me and Mr. Scroll Saw was eventually done, the stock looks horrible :(

I used sockets wrapped in sandpaper to make the channel bigger, I started small and worked my way up, I figured that was the best cheap way to do it.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I used it to learn on. My first attempt at bedding got hosed, so I chipped it out, and redid it. I knew I was replacing it, but didn't want to screw up a good quality stock so I figured it was my guineau pig for all future work. I say tear it up, see what you can learn and learn from your mistakes!! :t

·
Registered
245 Posts
Here's mine... Since these were taken I have changed the scope, to a Simmons 6X24X50.

I wanted the "tactical" look, although when I was buying the paint, I almost went to a medium/dark blue! I used Ultra Flat Black X2 coats, and then Satin Poly... X2 coats. I will redo it sometime, in the near future. It was fun to do. I purchased 2 dowel rods - (1) 3/4" & (2) 1". I wrapped a full sheet of 60 grit sandpaper around the dowel (1) & started out. I switched to the (2) dowel, and then rotated then back & forth. My thoughts were to not only widen, but make the valley deaper. Take your time, & do several test fits.

http://www.sendmetheloot.owns1.com/

Good luck & have fun...

·
Banned
957 Posts
OnTarget,
Here's a head's up...The factory birch stocks just DON'T stain well. The absorbtion of the stain will be inconsistent. You're better off to paint. I've got some of mine in the "Gallery"
Ruger doesn't stain them but rather applies a walnut tinted varnish or finish coat. Underneath that finish is plain old white birch.
Hope this helps!

Mike

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike said:
OnTarget,
Here's a head's up...The factory birch stocks just DON'T stain well. The absorbtion of the stain will be inconsistent. You're better off to paint. I've got some of mine in the "Gallery"
Ruger doesn't stain them but rather applies a walnut tinted varnish or finish coat. Underneath that finish is plain old white birch.
Hope this helps!

Mike
Thanks for the heads up. I like the black one, what paint did you use for that finnish?

·
Banned
957 Posts
OnTarget,

Thanks! It's a black krinkle finish. It makes for a good walk around beater. It has the feel of wood but the appearance of synthetic. When it gets dinged up its easily and quickly touched up in seconds. IT WORKS!

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.