Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i am new here and new to shooting. i try really hard to read lots of posts so i dont ask the same questions that EVERYONE asks. i wanted to know about sandbags and other methods for steadying the gun while you shoot. i have a brand new 10/22 carbine with the black synthetic stock and the stainless barrel. soon i will be getting a bolt buffer, extractor, hammer, and auto bolt release. i already have the nicest scope $13 can buy from walmart. :D i am looking for a bench rest or probably sandbags to shoot from to be more accurate when target shooting. anyone tell me a little about what to look for or what to avoid. i have no plans for a new barrel or stock in the near future so go with using the rifle as-is. thanks for your help. ~Ryan :Blasting_

·
Registered
551 Posts
Sandbags

WELCOME TO RFC and to the great fun of rimfire shooting!!! Caldwell makes decent, affordable rests. You can get a front rest from them for around $25 if you go with their cheaper plastic model, and it makes a handy rest to throw in the back of a truck and works well for the price. If you can spend more, the Caldwell "Rock" is more solid and stable for around $75. A good rabbit ear leather rear bag from Protektor or Caldwell will go for another $25 or so. These rests will last you many years if you treat them right. I have also shot off shotgun shot bags filled with sand, but not as nice as a real rest. When you get more serious about your shooting and choose to do so, I would recommend upgrading your scope-- at least the $99 Nikon rimfire at Wal-Mart. With the mods you have already ordered, a rest, and a better scope, you will be in business! Take it slow and enjoy shooting and keep it fun! :Blasting_

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
you can make your own with empty shot bags. they are real durable either tarp type material or softer cloth. id use the cloth if it was me. i save all my shot bags. gonna sew up a cover for my reloader.

I use a set of front and rear bags, both suede. and while they work, i would get an actual front rest. I will be soon the front bag leaves a lot of adjustability to be desired. i think any decent cast metal front rest with a bag on top should work great. plastic would be less stable. i think. and use SAND to fill the bags, anything else wont conform to the gun as well. ive used a bag filled with lead shot/airgun pellets and the stock would just bounce on it, couldnt shoot for crap.

good luck!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Okay, since you're familiar with Wal Mart, just head back up there today and pickup a set of leather shooting rests and a small bag of white/whatever play sand :) $11 for the bags, and $1 for the sand. You'll also need a small plastic funnel to fill the bags. Obviously you get what you pay for here, but for $11 they are certainly nice enough for informal shootin'.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The play sand at my Walmart costs $3.15 for a 40lb bag.

I made all my own sandbags with cloth, a sewing machine, and some sand. I even made my own adjustable shooting rest for about 15 bucks out of hardware and plywood for the base. Adjustable feet and rest. :D

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
handsomeRyan, obviously you are a young man just starting out in shooting. I can send you my old rear leather bag for nothing. I will empty the sand out of it so shipping will be cheaper. Raid the neighbor's sand box and get a small pail of sand to fill it with! :p

It looks like this one but with the hard leather bottom on it: http://www.protektormodel.com/14.htm

You can also use the rear bag for a front bag till you can afford a front rest.

Email me your address if you want it!

Sam

·
Registered
194 Posts
Some old pant legs sewed up can make bags whatever size you want and is very cheap,just cut the legs whatever length you want then sew one end up fill it with sand then sew the other end(usually do this end by hand)to avoid makeing a mess in the wifes sewing room. Good shooting!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Gabriel: Did you make a bunny ear'd bag or just a flat sandbag? If you've got a pattern for bunny ears it would save me ALOT of time! I've got a pair of jeans that are now trash and was going to try my hand at making a rear bag. Not near as good as a leather I know, but it'll get me through next semester.

·
Registered
517 Posts
ryan,that is a really great thing for Sam to offer,i hope you take him up on it and really get yourself into benchrest shooting.the best way to find out what GOES ON is to attend a match {even as a spectator} and see for your self.you WILL learn that Sam is not the only NICE GUY. there are a lot of Sams around.look around,learn & enjoy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you guys are all so nice. i started on another forum but all they wanted to discuss was religeon and politics so i am MUCH happier here! thanks to Sam for the bag i cant wait to go shooting with it. i may try the pantleg thing as well. thanks again to all for being so nice and willing to take your time to answer my questions (and send me stuff!) ~Ryan

·
Registered
16 Posts
make your own

I bought a little bit of denim material (a friend bought some fake suede) and we each had our wives use their sowing machine to make the size bags I wanted. 50lbs of popcorn from Sam's works great as a filler and it isn't quite as heavy as sand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.