Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

"sand" bag filler ??

1989 Views 34 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  itschuck
i like using sand filled old jeans legs but those sand bags are getting too heavy, about six, seven, to be carrying back and forth from the shed to the table. have read here maybe that cat litter and the stuff used to absorb oil in the garage is about the same. cant rem the price diff. also cat litter turns to "concrete" when it gets wet. maybe, i need a little red wagon. lol.

anyone use the oil absorber? how does it work in cut-off jeans legs??
suppose putting it in a baggie first may be a good idea. stable enuff?

thanks all.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Has anyone tried that cat litter that is like sand. I was looking at that stuff as I was pouring it into my cats litter box. It is like fine sand but would be lighter. Thought maybe I would give it a try in my caldwell bags, just as long as a guy doesn't get it wet :eek:

· Registered
5 Posts
I'm using oats, soy beans, sand, corn cob polishing media and kitty litter in various bags. I put the filler in a plastic ziplock bag. That eliminates wetness problems. I use shot bags--the kind that contain 25 lbs shot. Some of them even have a plastic bag in them already. I like the oat bags the best. They are light and settle in nicely. I have made some of them as tight/compressed as possible and others less packed so they conform to things better. My three oat bags and 2 soy bean bags are 18-20 years in use...A farmer friend put me onto using oats and beans. Good shooting! :Blasting_

· Registered
400 Posts
I went to a bank and asked for two small size worn out cloth money bags without holes. I went to a lumber yard and got a garbage bag full of DRY sawdust. Fill doubled plastic grocery bags with plenty of sawdust and put these into the cloth bags. Very light weight. One front/one rear. But a Caldwell Rock rest works better. ;)

· Registered
20,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
i could try sawdust, got a bunch in the shop. still wondering if anyone has tried the oil
absorbent stuff that garages use ??

still looking for diff ideas and you guys keep giving some good ones.

· Registered
178 Posts
Sharpshooter 2 said:
I'm using oats, soy beans, sand, corn cob polishing media and kitty litter in various bags. I put the filler in a plastic ziplock bag. That eliminates wetness problems. I use shot bags--the kind that contain 25 lbs shot. Some of them even have a plastic bag in them already. I like the oat bags the best. They are light and settle in nicely. I have made some of them as tight/compressed as possible and others less packed so they conform to things better. My three oat bags and 2 soy bean bags are 18-20 years in use...A farmer friend put me onto using oats and beans. Good shooting! :Blasting_
I have been looking for empty "shot bags" around here for a long time but no one seems to have them. I would appreciate info on where to find some or be glad to buy about a half dozen or so if they are priced right?

· Registered
5 Posts
Contact any of the shotshell reloaders at your local shotgun shooting places. Many of us are still reloading for clay bird shooting. Better yet, take your shotgun and shoot with them. You'll probably get bags for free then. If you have no luck with that, make me an offer and let me know how to send you some of my extras.

· Registered
178 Posts
Sharpshooter 2 said:
Contact any of the shotshell reloaders at your local shotgun shooting places. Many of us are still reloading for clay bird shooting. Better yet, take your shotgun and shoot with them. You'll probably get bags for free then. If you have no luck with that, make me an offer and let me know how to send you some of my extras.
Let me know what you want for about 6 of them and we will go from there.

· Registered
178 Posts
Pdwight said:
DOnt go in with your gun , but many banks still use cloth coin bags and if you bank there and tell one of the tellers you need 3 or 4 they will probbly give then to you. Old Blue Jeans Pants legs sewn on one end work....for that matter if you can sew just go to a fabric store and buy some cotton canvas material and make the type you want...its just a bag not a wedding dress.

Dwight P
Thanks Pdwight, I'll give that a try, and I guess I will leave the gun in the truck, just this once.... :1t

· Registered
139 Posts
anyone try the matching sticky one side velcro. am wondering if it sticks well to denim and such. would make it a lot easier to fill, empty the bags if needed.

yea ive used velcro before...just put a couple staples thru it and it will work fine

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.