Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

San Rafael Beeman R7

713 24
Always wanted an R7 and finally got one!!! I believe that it's a 1983 rifle thats hardly been used, it's really nice. Shot it into the grass to see if everything worked then put a tuna can out at 50 feet. Using my door jamb as support the first shot creased the can and flipped it around. I thought it hit low but.... So I used the crease to index the can and shot 2 more times they where also low so I gave the elevation screw a turn and Bullseye!!! I've got an extra Leupold 3x9 EFR and some rings off of my Anschutz that should work, I think they're an older set of Talley's. I'm going to give it a try but the rings don't have the recoil stop and I'm pretty sure the older Leupold VX2 EFR scopes are air rifle friendly. Any feed back on scopes and rings would be appreciated. So far I'm really liking this gun it's good looking, not to big and heavy, nice trigger, quiet, and backyard friendly.

Jay in Oregon
Wood Beige Button Circle Metal
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,265 Posts
I have an R8 from the same period, after thrashing a couple of scopes and fighting with crawling rings, I finally bought a set of Beeman mounts and a Beeman 10X (? airgun scope, no further problems. I doubt if you will find these items now, maybe get lucky on ebay, otherwise make the investment in purpose-built mounts and scope, you'll be happy you did.

Edit, might check with Pyramid Air.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
I had an R10, progressed to an R1 then an RX. Had an R8 briefly that I got from a friend and traded it on the R1. I kick myself in the rear every time I think about that, the R8 should have stayed with me, foolish boy that I was off on a power kick. The R8 was a perfect little back yard rifle, beautifully shaped, light in weight, easy cocking, accurate etc. I have a .177 R1 now but I have difficulty getting any accuracy with it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an R8 from the same period, after thrashing a couple of scopes and fighting with crawling rings, I finally bought a set of Beeman mounts and a Beeman 10X (? airgun scope, no further problems. I doubt if you will find these items now, maybe get lucky on ebay, otherwise make the investment in purpose-built mounts and scope, you'll be happy you did.

Edit, might check with Pyramid Air.
Kind of what I was expecting. I was originally going to leave the open sights or go with an aperature, but i just can't see them any more. The comb is also a little high with the open sights but is really nice with a scope. I'll have to come up with some rings that I like and might swap scopes. I think this scope will work but I don't want to trash one of my gloss scopes plus I stole it off one of my Kimbers that I don't shoot often. An R8 would be nice, what caliber is yours. When I first started looking at the Beeman's in the early 90's I was thinking of a 5mm. At that time I was shooting my 1970 Sheridan or my father inlaws 1955 Silver Streak, but the pellet selection has become limited. I have both of them now, but my dad borrowed mine for rabbit duty and the Silver Streak is due for seals.

Jay in Oregon

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Congrats on the R7, very nice rifle for sure. Make sure the scope is air rifle rated. I have a couple of .177 RWS/Diana 34 T06 Classics and use these:
UTG Drooper Scope Rail, 11mm-to-Weaver Adapter, Scope Stop
Hawke 1" Rings, Weaver, Low, Black
Leapers UTG 4-16x50 AO Rifle Scope
One is sighted in @ 50yrds. the other @ 25 yrds., they're my backyard nuisance critter gitters.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Congrats on the R7, very nice rifle for sure. Make sure the scope is air rifle rated. I have a couple of .177 RWS/Diana 34 T06 Classics and use these:
UTG Drooper Scope Rail, 11mm-to-Weaver Adapter, Scope Stop
Hawke 1" Rings, Weaver, Low, Black
Leapers UTG 4-16x50 AO Rifle Scope
One is sighted in @ 50yrds. the other @ 25 yrds., they're my backyard nuisance critter gitters.
Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving. I'm pretty sure that the Leupold VX2 EFR scopes were air rifle rated but not 100 percent positve. I'm looking into other options so that I hopefully don't trash this scope. I'm also trying to keep my shot count down, but between a long weekend and the Starlings at my suet block it's going to be tough. You know starlings are like Ruffle's you can't just have one!!! And I've already had Two today and I want more!!! I really like this gun!!!

Jay in Oregon

PS This is the pic that I forgot to post and put in my OOP's post
Air gun Trigger Purple Wood Shotgun

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving. I'm pretty sure that the Leupold VX2 EFR scopes were air rifle rated but not 100 percent positve. I'm looking into other options so that I hopefully don't trash this scope. I'm also trying to keep my shot count down, but between a long weekend and the Starlings at my suet block it's going to be tough. You know starlings are like Ruffle's you can't just have one!!! And I've already had Two today and I want more!!! I really like this gun!!!

Jay in Oregon

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. We don't have Starling problems at our songbird feeders here in MS but we do have major issues with Brown Headed Cowbirds and squirrels, elimination is a given around here. (y)
Plant Leaf Nature Tree Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Congrats on the R7. You will love the easy cocking and excellent accuracy. I have a Nikon 3-9 EFR on mine. Shoots tiny little groups at 35 yds. with little to no wind. It's my pine squirrel rifle. The easy recoil will be fine for your scope. Mine likes JSB 8.44 gr. pellets best.

JSB Match Diabolo Exact .177 Cal, 8.44 Grains, Domed, 500ct, 4.53mm

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts

Jay in Oregon

View attachment 345128
Yep the rifle is an early one I have two one earlier, possibly made in the 70s and a later one with a different stock. your rifle has no safety, the new R7s have a safety that engages when the rifle is cocked. I also have a third one with a similar stock to yours.with safety. I don't know if your stock is the original stock or a transitional model, it actually looks like a later stock. I also think it is a leather piston seal rifle a bit of silicone oil should keep it shooting for years.
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Air gun Varnish

Here are my three rifles number one, HW30s number two, a San Rafael Beeman import and number 3 a Huntington
Beach rifle. you will note that the early HW30s and the San Rafael pistol grips are rounded whereas your stock is more like the Huntington Beach and it extends to the end of the barrel block.
Not to detract your rifle in any way you got an air rifle gem, keep it when the time comes pass it on.
S/SP

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input, I'm definitly in learning mode. From what I gather the first Beeman R series hw30's came out in 83 previous guns were imported by Beeman but marked as hw30's. The San Rafael and Santa Rosa guns had a similar stock but the Santa Rosa guns had a safety. The Huntington Beach stock combs were different and the grip didn't extend down as much. From pictures I've found I believe it is the stock for the first R7 marked rifles. My SN# is 9510xx which should be 1983. Here is a pic of my pistol grip. I was wondering if my piston seal was leather or not and how to care for it. I also saw on Jim Maccari's sight that the spring is also different. This is my first spring gun and I have so many questions. The more feedback that I get the more I will learn. Thanks again.

Jay in Oregon
Basic pump Wood Court shoe Human leg Bridal shoe

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Some years back on the airgun forums I used to frequent, the Leupold 3-9 EFR was one of the more popular scopes (for springers as well as PCPs). I've never heard of one being damaged by an airgun. I have one that saw moderate use on two springers before it ended up on my CZ 527.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Thanks for the input, I'm definitly in learning mode. From what I gather the first Beeman R series hw30's came out in 83 previous guns were imported by Beeman but marked as hw30's. The San Rafael and Santa Rosa guns had a similar stock but the Santa Rosa guns had a safety. The Huntington Beach stock combs were different and the grip didn't extend down as much. From pictures I've found I believe it is the stock for the first R7 marked rifles. My SN# is 9510xx which should be 1983. Here is a pic of my pistol grip. I was wondering if my piston seal was leather or not and how to care for it. I also saw on Jim Maccari's sight that the spring is also different. This is my first spring gun and I have so many questions. The more feedback that I get the more I will learn. Thanks again.

Jay in Oregon View attachment 345156
JM or ARH makes different springs for the R7 and 30S ,early 30s had a non adjustable trigger the 30S were adjustable your rifle looks to have a leather piston seal, newer R7s will have a synthetic seal old rifles can be retrofitted to a synthetic one. I personally prefer the leather ones all they need is a bit of 20 weight silicone oil every 1000 rounds or so. A complete tear down when the spring weakens might be in order, I've taken down one rifle to replace a broken spring.Leather seals are available. but they are easy to make out of a piece of 10 to 13 oz harness leather.the only downside of a springer is they lose power at higher altitude and cold weather. I have read that a piston Ram might be available as a retrofit for the R7, advantage no loss of power can be left cocked for long periods unlike a Spring that will take a set and weaken. Rams do fail, I just replaced one for a customer.
for more info you could check out GTA for a wealth of info.
Airgun Forum | GTA International Airgun Forum | 17,332+ Members and
German AirGun Gate
Knowledgeable folks there.
S/SP

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JM or ARH makes different springs for the R7 and 30S ,early 30s had a non adjustable trigger the 30S were adjustable your rifle looks to have a leather piston seal, newer R7s will have a synthetic seal old rifles can be retrofitted to a synthetic one. I personally prefer the leather ones all they need is a bit of 20 weight silicone oil every 1000 rounds or so. A complete tear down when the spring weakens might be in order, I've taken down one rifle to replace a broken spring.Leather seals are available. but they are easy to make out of a piece of 10 to 13 oz harness leather.the only downside of a springer is they lose power at higher altitude and cold weather. I have read that a piston Ram might be available as a retrofit for the R7, advantage no loss of power can be left cocked for long periods unlike a Spring that will take a set and weaken. Rams do fail, I just replaced one for a customer.
for more info you could check out GTA for a wealth of info.
Airgun Forum | GTA International Airgun Forum | 17,332+ Members and
German AirGun Gate
Knowledgeable folks there.
S/SP
This is all good information to know. I've been to GTA but only when I've Googled something about the R7 and went to specific posts.I haven't looked in depth but it looks very interesting. I was also wondering if your early Beeman is marked R7 or HW30 on the barrel block? I love puzzles and hunting for the details! Thank you again for all the info.

Jay in Oregon

·
Registered
415 Posts
The EFR Leupold will be fine on the R7. I experienced erector failure on both VXII and VXIII EFRs back in the day, but they were mounted on a Theoben Eliminator, those super high power gas ram guns were very hard on scopes. Leupold repaired both scopes without issue, so all was well.
If the rings won't stay put you can add a scope stop or buy a set of sportsmatch mounts. Either route will solve any creep issues. The great thing about low power spring guns is that you dont tend to have issues with scope damage or mount movement. Have fun.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The EFR Leupold will be fine on the R7. I experienced erector failure on both VXII and VXIII EFRs back in the day, but they were mounted on a Theoben Eliminator, those super high power gas ram guns were very hard on scopes. Leupold repaired both scopes without issue, so all was well.
If the rings won't stay put you can add a scope stop or buy a set of sportsmatch mounts. Either route will solve any creep issues. The great thing about low power spring guns is that you dont tend to have issues with scope damage or mount movement. Have fun.
I'm starting to have hope with the scope rings since they do have a lot bigger gripping area on the dovetail than most tip off rings. Thanks

Jay in Oregon

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
This is all good information to know. I've been to GTA but only when I've Googled something about the R7 and went to specific posts.I haven't looked in depth but it looks very interesting. I was also wondering if your early Beeman is marked R7 or HW30 on the barrel block? I love puzzles and hunting for the details! Thank you again for all the info.

Jay in Oregon
My early HW 30 I purchased from Germany from Walter Gehmann and retrofitted a stronger spring to bring it up to US specs. the block is marked HW 30 on one side and Weirauch Mellrichstadt Bay on the the other side. on left below dovetail is stamped "Made in Germany".
I purchased a few others from Gehmann in the early 70 s When ARH was an actual Brick/mortar store they carried no less than 4 HW 30 models, 30 /30M /30S/30SX/30D. the base model is the 30 the "S" suffix is the adjustable trigger. that all R7s now have the adjustable trigger, the different designations were for either better stocks or improved sights etc.
All these little rifles will scope and the top of the action has holes to install either a scope block or integral scope block
built in the bottom of some rings the R7 does not generate enough force to destroy scopes but a scope designated for Springers should be installed, Air gun scope lenses are held in their recesses both fore and aft ie: locked in place.
Check out Robert Law who unfortunately passed recently.a very knowledgeable and inventive mind.
So my friend do a bit of digging and enjoy yourself.

S/SP

1 - 20 of 25 Posts