Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Sako Help needed

500 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Dwarfmiester
I have a Finnfire P94S, love it very much. :t However, when I set the headspace, the barrel seems to gradually slip forward after shooting a couple hundred rounds, then the bolt will close a a .045" no-go guage :eek: , and then I have to reset it so the bolt won't close on the no-go. I have degreased the barrel and receiver contact points, and it still slips when the clamping screws are torqued to 100in/lbs:( . Anybody have a cure for the slippage? :confused:
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,382 Posts
Try some rosin on the barrel tenon. A sure fire way to keep it from slipping would be to use Locktite sleeve retaininer and glue it in. 100 inch pounds sounds like too much torque in my opinion. Too much torque can crack the receiver.

Gary

· Registered
4,258 Posts
Yikes, I'm with Gary, 100 in/lbs is too much. My Lilja drop-in was only torqued down to 35 inch/lbs and it's fine. Something else is going on. You degreased everything with alchohol and it still did it? Hmm...

I would try some blue or green loctite at this point, don't use the red, or you may never get the gun apart again....

· Registered
452 Posts
steinie said:
Yikes, I'm with Gary, 100 in/lbs is too much. My Lilja drop-in was only torqued down to 35 inch/lbs and it's fine. Something else is going on. You degreased everything with alchohol and it still did it? Hmm...

I would try some blue or green loctite at this point, don't use the red, or you may never get the gun apart again....
With that much torque, I am wondering if there is not a crack in the receiver already.... Mine is at about 35-40 in-lbs and does not budge. Buddies was at 20 and would loosen up. Retorqued to 40 and no problems.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
The Remington 504 has a single barrel clamping screw and a barrel set screw. Remington's torque spec for the single clamping screw is 125 in/lbs. I would think the steel Sako receiver would be alittle stronger than a mere 40 in/lbs torque rating, which is 1/3 that of the Remington's torque rating, but then again, my Sako bolt sleeve split too, and needed replacement. Maybe the Sako's are just inherently soft. Sako and Finnish Mosin-Nagants are built like tanks, but maybe the current crop of firearms aren't. :confused:

· Registered
1,066 Posts
Torgue?

I have a Lilja, torgued to 35 in lbs. Works fine except when I tied a glass bedding experiment, the release agent seeped in and allowd it to slip. A through cleaning and it has been fine for 1000 + rounds. 100 Seems to be a bit tight, Bill Calfee cautions that excessive torgue can cause a egged chamber.

Len

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.