Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone Im new to rimfire and I live in Australia. Want to get in some cheap shooting, for accurate hunting and relaxed target stuff without the cost of centerfire ammo.

Ive never owned a rimfire but know centerfires.

Im trying to decide between my short list;

1. Sako Finnfire Varmint
2. CZ Varmint

The Sako has a floating barrell. Its also about $AUS350 more than the CZ. The money isnt a big issue for a lifetime rifle.

What are the tangible differences? Am I getting into toss value associated with a certain brand, or tangible differences?

The SSAA had a review where the Sako was the most accurate. Sako have a good reputation.

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Mate ,

I would say if money is not a problem , then get the Sako Finnfire , they are a realy great gun , I have the Hunter version and use it usually with a silencer ( I live in NZ , where silencer's are not restricted ) .
The main point's on the Finnfire for me are the following ,

1, Free floating barrel

2, Barrel change is easy , done with a allen key, spare barrels are easily fitted by the shooter.

3, Very well made, std for any Sako

4, Has a seperate bolt release , which makes it easier to make a good trigger design , as the trigger serves only one function , ie being a trigger. Most rimfire rifles use the trigger to serve 2 functions , trigger & bolt release.

5, Very accurate right from the box

The CZ is also a very good gun , it is not free floated , spare mags are cheaper , also the CZ mag's are available in ( 5,10,15 rd) in Aussie.
The Sako has 5 & 10 rd mags available.

You have narrowed your choice down to the top 2 bolt action rimfire's that are readily available, either will serve you well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bathrone

I own a Finnfire Hunter and a CZ Varmint. I find the Sako to be more accurate than the CZ when shooting ammo that each respective rifle likes.

On a good day the CZ will average under half an inch at 50 yards from the bench (5 shot groups) if I do my stuff correctly. The Sako usually beats that but it has an advantage with a 1.5 oz Jewell trigger (the CZ trigger weight is under a pound).

If you're after accuracy from a mass produced rifle, the Sako is hard to beat but they cost twice as much as a CZ. Many people shoot the Finnfire out of the box in IR 50/50 sporter class competition, and it can be upgraded with custom stocks and triggers (if you can now find them). The CZ is hard to pass up, however, for great shooting fun and bang for the $$.

If I had to choose one, it would be the Sako because IMO it's a classier, more accurate rifle. BTW, the Hunter model is said to be more accurate than the heavy barrel Varmint model.

BAT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

Mate the hunter is more accurate than the varmint? I thought a heavy barrell would be better for accuracy, and having that weight to have a better rest? What have people experienced on this?

·
Registered
613 Posts
The hunter model has been found to be more accurate than the heavy barreled Sako. Go to www.benchrest.com and visit their rimfire board. Do a search. You will learn a lot about the Sako rifles there. The cz is a fine rifle. for most people, it will do everything needed. I have a cz varmint and like it. Have won some informal benchrest matches with it. The Sako, however, is more accurate. Good luck chosing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.