Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a sako finnfire hunter .22lr and on fireing the tip of the barrel jumps and is so bad affects accuarcy its fine off a bipod but free hand im lucky to get 3inch group at 25yards.please help:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "jumps." You mean that you're holding the forestock and when you fire you can see the tip of the barrel move even when you're holding steady? But not off the bipod? Where is your bipod attached? Have you tried shooting off a sandbag? Maybe your action screws are loose?

Sorry to answer your questions with questions, but I'm not quite sure what's happening with your rifle.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
sako

i have a sako finnfire hunter .22lr and on fireing the tip of the barrel jumps and is so bad affects accuarcy its fine off a bipod but free hand im lucky to get 3inch group at 25yards.please help:confused:
Nothing that you are saying makes any sense. Please provide much more detail and I'm sure your problem will be answered/explained.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Free Hand ?

i have a sako finnfire hunter .22lr and on firring the tip of the barrel jumps and is so bad affects accuracy its fine off a bipod but free hand im lucky to get 3inch group at 25yards.please help:confused:
Free Hand , do you mean standing .. Or just that the rifle is held by you and is not rested on anything ... ????

ill answerer for this in anyway ... Takes lots of practice to shoot standing as the human body is moving , either develop a technique , or develop better self control ... Same for prone ...

If your talking Bench rest , and you line up the rifle , and then fire without holding the rifle [ free recoil ] , make sure you pinch the trigger , not pull it , unless you have a 1-2 oz Jewell or something ...

Trying free recoil with a heavy trigger is no going to work ...
+ The stock design may not be right for free recoil ...

If its the first , then simply you need to develop the skill , and that means shooting , and more shooting ...

I could shoot 8 inch groups with my 30/30 Win 94 @ 100 meters shooting as fast as possible with open sights ... Of the bench it would shoot 7/8 with handloads .....

Practice / and more practice ...

FLINCH = Oh dear , get some ear plugs and muffs , and try to eliminate the sound of firing all together ...

To see if your flinching , have some one else load the gun , for every shot let a buddy load a live round , or a fired case ...

If you move on an empty case , your flinching ... The idea is you dont know if its a live round or a dud ....

Matt

PS/ Collect a pile of once fired casses [ Yours ] and then use them as snap caps at home to learn trigger control ....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok ill try and explain a bit better,when i shoot standing or kneeling holding the forend the muzzle lifts in the air maybe 3 inches or so taking the shot off target,iam not flinching in any way.my .17 hmr does not do this,it is not my technique it is the rifle.
Accuracy is much better laying down with the bipod on any more thoughts on this would be much appreciated:)

·
Registered
459 Posts
So you say your HMR does not do it.I would put it down to a fault with your rifle.Do you actually mean that the action is jumping out of the stock when you fire? or do you mean the barrel is lifting when you fire? I have yet to fire a .22 rimfire which exhibits muzzle flip of 3'' and would be very interested to know what is causing this phenomenon in your rifle.Are you sure the action screws are tight or are of the correct length and are not bottoming out?Let us know how you get on.
Pat

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
From the description, I'm picturing the barrel and action jumping 3" out of the stock. AFAIK, the action screws themselves aren't even close to 3" long, though, so the action would have to be just lying loose in the stock for that to happen.

You don't have to be necessarily flinching to be 3" off-POA when shooting offhand. A 3" group at 25 yards when shooting totally unsupported is not at all unusual. I'm thinking that it might not be a hardware problem.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
One more time ...

Takes time and SKILL to shoot well off hand ....

Go buy a few slabs , and see how you shoot after 5000 rounds ...

Forget about the muzzle ....

Consentrate on your body and trigger control ....

Again , save the empties , and use them as snap caps at home ....

Snaping emties can seriously increase your gun control ....

And you can see what your doing wrong , if anything .....

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
its just the barrel lifting on fireing not the action jumping out of the stock
Well, the barrel is connected to the action and the action is connected to the stock, so according to what you're saying, the whole rifle is lifting, not just the barrel. And if this happens when you're shooting offhand but not when you're shooting off the bipod, the only logical conclusion is that you need to work on your offhand technique. If you can shoot a tight group off the bipod, I really don't think there's anything wrong with your rifle.

Again, there's nothing really unusual about a 3" group at 25 yards when shooting unsupported.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no there is no movement before the shot is taken,and i dont think there is anything wrong with my technique ive been shooting for years and ive used a sako finnfire varmint before and never had a problem,i also own a .17hmr and shoot free hand alot with no problems at all,maybe ill contact a gunsmith and see if he can shed any light,thanks for all your replies.:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.