Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from a four day sage rat and chuck hunting trip near Klamath Falls Basin.

Sage rat hunting was OK, but the alfalfa was a bit too high this late in season. They were hard to spot unless they were standing on their hind legs on top of their mounds.

I bought ski's AR10T, chambered in .243 Winchester and got a chance to shoot it for the first time. The picture is of a chuck hit at about 20 yards with a 70 grain Federal Ballistic tip. I found the chuck about 10 feet from point of impact. I would have had a difficult time identifying him as a wodchuck, after the fact, without having gotten a good look at him in the scope.

Zirc

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Caution: Picture Not For Weak Hearted.

Oh wait its to late for that warning.

Though I do enjoy the picture.

I was wondering who got Skis baby.

Dean_311

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
POOF!!

WOW! Nice shooting!

I always wondered what that "10" would do to a real varmint.

It was always fun using it to punch paper. Glad to see "she" found a home, with someone, that will put her to better use.

BigMike L,

I still got my M15A4(T). I originally had it with the Carbine Upper, but it wasn't as accurate @100yds as I hoped, so I replaced the upper with a 20". VERY happy with it, now.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...

not much skill in shooting the chuck at 20 yards. He was just a "target of opportunity". But it sure was awesome how all those "feetsy-pounds" behind a ballistic tip tore him up. I'd have posted some pics of the sage rats shot out to 200 yards, but there wasn't enough left to take a picture. LOL!! When I get the 6.5-20X50 Leupold scope (the one I was using was a borrowed 3-9X Leupold compact) we'll start moving the range back to 300 to 350 yards. The field I was hunting had a center pivot 500 yards long, so shooting end-to-end there is at least 1000 yards of "room".

BigMike L, the AR10T is a hoot. Especially in the .243 Winny chambering. Recoil isn't any worse than my muzzle braked .22-250 bolt gun. All that "click-clack" stuff soaks up a bunch of energy. Accuracy is excellent, although I haven't really had a chance to wring it out with proper scope and benchrest setup. Still, it's shooting well under 1 MOA.

Zirc

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Zirc,

You're too humble!

Don't forget, I got your "grouping" pics!

I was using a Leupold 6-18X40 AO and it took me several months to get the groups you got, your first time out, with a borrowed scope.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Re: Thanks...

Zircon said:
not much skill in shooting the chuck at 20 yards.
Zirc
HA..

Try it with a throwing knife and then tell me then there is no skill in that :p have fun with that one.

Dean_311

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never....

bring a knife to a gunfight!! :D :D

Zirc

(p.s., I've "tried" a throwing knife. I can't even get it to come around point first, let alone hit something with it. LOL!!)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ski, Thanks for the input, not sure what I'm going to do...Thinking of selling the carbine and going with the AR10T...May try a new upper also, would be alot cheaper than a new gun !!! Will keep you posted...Mike :D :D :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.