Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

safety problem???

317 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  ChiefDave
My 10/22 safety constantly pops to the on position after I fire about 2 or 3 rounds. I know this is not normal, what I don't know is how to fix it.

Thanks for any help.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,675 Posts
Sounds like some kind of obstruction is in your safety mechanism not allowing it to fully travel to the off position. Either that or you are not pushing it far enough. Make sure you are pushing it till it is completely flat against the trigger group.

Since the safety is at the bottom of the trigger group it collects all the gunk that falls out of the chamber and bolt like unburned powder and carbon from burned powder.

The safety mechanism on a 10-22 is a simple round bar with a cutout on top to either block the sear or allow full travel and a pair of dimples on the bottom that a spring loaded plunger rides in. The spring loaded plunger simply pushes itself up into the dimples to hold the bar in place in the safe or fire position.

If you do not feel comfortable taking it apart try spraying it with some type of aerosol cleaner and work it back and forth vigorously. Once it is moving freely clean it out again and use a dry lubricant such as Rem Dry Lube.

If you feel comfortable enough to take it apart and clean it here are some tips. To take the safety bar out remove the action parts from the trigger group and rotate the safety about 90 degrees and push it out either side. You might want to do this in a plastic baggie so you can find the parts afterwards. Clean the parts and trigger group thoroughly and then put them back together. To install the safety I have found that using the open end of a ball point pen filler to hold down the spring and plunger can save you some grief and curb your creative use of language. Hold the plunger and spring down and slide the safety bar in at the same 90 degree angle that you removed it with making sure it is oriented correctly. Once it is pushed in far enough rotate it and it will click in place.

· Registered
3,642 Posts
Trigger Mods........? ?

DoorKicker,

Did you do any trigger mods....? ? :confused:

SAFETY problems are common when a "Hammer & Sear Kit" are installed, as the Sear needs to be 'fitted' where its 'nose' contacts the SAFETY...! ! :eek:

· Registered
16,533 Posts
Chief Says :
If the safety does not " click " when pushed , the spring or detent has a problem . Thus one must remove the safety shaft
from the housing and inspect it.
Probably the spring is weak or the detent is missing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.