Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
  • Beware of Scammers! Does it sound too good to be true? New user has just what you were looking for? Don't get scammed! When in doubt, use escrow.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dwarren.. thanks that is good need to know especially about the QC..

Tacoma that is the type of answer I am fishing for. Just to have options that actually preform when the anointed ammo isn’t available. I have had good luck with the CCI Subsonic hollow point, that is the only thing I had tried that would work. I will be checking in on getting some of the Norma today.

· Registered
4,192 Posts
Dwarren.. thanks that is good need to know especially about the QC..

Tacoma that is the type of answer I am fishing for. Just to have options that actually preform when the anointed ammo isn’t available. I have had good luck with the CCI Subsonic hollow point, that is the only thing I had tried that would work. I will be checking in on getting some of the Norma today.
My 2 cents on ammo purchasing:
You can buy the Norma right from them or from a few other sources. It goes on sale every other month. I always keep 5-6 bricks of Norma on hand along with my stash of "better" SK/Eley/Lapua fodder. Having been there before, cost is irrelevant when ammo dries up before an election or other national trigger. Rimfire ammo is often about availability. Sometimes near ALL rimfire ammo dries up for a year or better. ( I've seen it 3 times in the last 20 years. ) My rule of thumb is to keep 3 years worth of ammo on hand for every caliber I own. So far, that plan has served me VERY well. I've never needed to resort to junk/overpriced ammo due to availability. ( In fact, the 2020 shortage allowed me to sell off a case of unneeded mini mags and fund a new precision rifle.) The other thing that buying in bulk does is get you consistency. If your feeding your rifles hand to mouth with small batch's of what's available, you're adding a considerable variable into the equation.

· Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Norma Tac-22 and Norma Match are as low as I've gone with as its constant availability at $4-5/box . I see no reason to stoop to "bucket o bullets" / milk carton junk type fodder. This stuff shoots as well as SK Std+ in any of my precision orientated .22's.
C’mon my grandkids are probably unaware that 22LR ammo come in anything but a bucket……………….:p:p:p

· Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Obviously a $2500+ rifle needs to be fed better ammo, there are 2 guys in my league, that shoot Vudoos. That open up a question, is your desire to win is so great, you will shoot a rifle that’s worth more than 8 times what you can win, in a year, realistic.

· Registered
4,192 Posts
Obviously a $2500+ rifle needs to be fed better ammo, there are 2 guys in my league, that shoot Vudoos. That open up a question, is your desire to win is so great, you will shoot a rifle that’s worth more than 8 times what you can win, in a year, realistic.
For some folks it is . For me, my Vudoo's are more of a progressional itch scratch. I like them well enough but no more than my Bergara's and CZ's. For me, all these brands bring something unique to the table. Truth be told, when I compete in my usual 50-100 yd games, I like to bring one of my (near stock) CZ's. Nothing is sweeter than humbling "those guys" with a stock $600 rifle :) Of course, I don't stomp off in a rage if I don't place. When this sport becomes more about winning than about playing, I'm out.

· Registered
27 Posts
I don’t compete but wanted to take the rifle/scope out of the equation so been shooting vudoo with zco 8-40 since June. Love the combination and I buy cci sv and tac-22 by the case for it and the other rimfires. Have couple thousand rounds down the Vudoo and love it. No concerns shooting these and occasional sk rifle match.

Again I don’t compete with anyone but myself and very happy, tac22 was able to 1 shot hit horsefly at 100 yards.

Rectangle Circle Symmetry Recreation Tints and shades

Wood Font Wood stain Hardwood Flooring

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Automotive tire Gas

· Registered
266 Posts
Winning is nice but not everything.

The most important part of feeding an accurate rifle accurate ammo is that I know if I missed, it is my fault. I missed a wind switch, forgot to dial, messed up a fundamental, ect. With cheap/inaccurate ammo I might do everything right, but still miss. So in the back of my head I wonder if I really did everything right or was it the ammo.

· Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Yeah, but to spend Vudoo money, have open/iron sights on it, to shoot in a 50 foot bullseye league, shooting mini-mags, to win $500 and your name on a cheap wall plague?? But it their money

· Registered
9 Posts
I don’t compete but wanted to take the rifle/scope out of the equation so been shooting vudoo with zco 8-40 since June. Love the combination and I buy cci sv and tac-22 by the case for it and the other rimfires. Have couple thousand rounds down the Vudoo and love it. No concerns shooting these and occasional sk rifle match.

Again I don’t compete with anyone but myself and very happy, tac22 was able to 1 shot hit horsefly at 100 yards.

View attachment 356751
View attachment 356752

View attachment 356754
The Fly Kill is always the best Shot!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Sacrilege

I know guys that shoot Aguila SV, CCI SV and CCI mini-mags, in their Vudoos

I believe they must have changed reamers or specs then. Mine will not chamber most off the shelf long rifle, let alone mini mags.

Part of my reason for posing this question was to find a round for that match chamber capable of taking down game with less than perfect shots. Head shots or shoulders pass through with the CCI sub sonic hollow points I have been using kills 'em no problem. However, with a less than perfect shot there is not enough energy transfer to knock the squirrel out.

My last hunt I tried some armscorp hp high velocity. On paper the groups are not as good as the CCI sub hp, but they had no problems bringing squirrels out of the tops with a shot through the ribs, and that one was dead when it hit the ground. Would like to hear if anybody else has found anything else?

In response to the game/ competition comments made by different folks in the thread:

My vudoo was bought when they were running around the same price as the barreled action for my real rifles. I am left handed and shoot left hand bolt guns. Five or Six years ago there were not that many choices for a full size left hand .22 repeater.

For those who think it doesn’t matter, try to operate a wrong side bolt gun when shooting the Apple seed course and see how many targets you don’t have time for. (Just for the record I did get my Rifleman.)
With my Vudoo , I get more trigger time and rounds down range in a gun that feels and handles like a real one for pennies a shot versus dollars. I don’t do it for brags or games just to stay proficient with a perishable skill set and to ensure good kills are made when it is needed. Mine will group CCI sub sonic at a 100 yard ( if you subtract bullet diameter .296- .22?= small enough for this country boy. If the real good stuff could group better I am not sure I could shoot good enough to tell the difference…,

Please excuse my use of the soap box..,

We now return to our regular scheduled program…

1 - 20 of 27 Posts