Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
  • Beware of Scammers! Does it sound too good to be true? New user has just what you were looking for? Don't get scammed! When in doubt, use escrow.

SA22 SCOPE CHOICE

1228 Views 22 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  huntsman22
Hi all
I am looking into putting a scope on my SA22 but am concerned about eye relief due to the forward mounting.
Should I be considering a scout scope?
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
Here is what I did to mine, Vortex Crossfire
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
15,083 Posts
I agree with either the old style or new style Browning mount.
I would advise you to not get a scout scope for your current mount. I don't think eye relief will be ideal. A 2-7 Leupold rf special is a little longer than the 4x, where it needs to be. That might work with the Leupold mount.
I would never put a full size scope on the gun.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Here is a Comparison of old mount with leupold and new Talley made base. You’ll note that the (pic with flowers) is leupold mounts and scope. I used an offset on the front ring mount to get it back for best eye relief. The other pic is the Talley set up with a leupold scope. The talley does get you more eye relief.
Plant Purple Rectangle Violet Line

Wood Tints and shades Metal Font Fashion accessory

· Premium Member
275 Posts
The "Baby" Redfield scopes sit nicely on the SA-22s. I have a Browning cantilever mount on the Japan model and a grooved receiver on the Belgium made. Both scopes have the factory rings. Eye relief is adjusted just right for me in either set up. I kind of like the way they look on the smaller frame rifles too.

Attachments

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your reply. I found a used 2-7 Leupold on eBay that is scheduled for delivery today by the USPS. I hope it works out with the Leupold base I have ready to go.
If not, I will try the Browning base.
Thanks again.

· Registered
2 Posts
I went through the same decision-making process a couple of years ago. I scoured rimfirecentral and any other resource I could find Looking for images of different setups.

I finally settled on the Leupold fx-I 4x28 with the Browning mount on Talley rings. In my opinion, this combination checks all of the boxes. The scope is scaled perfectly to the rifle, the eye relief is no issue and it keeps the weight down. Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder but, this sure looks right to me.

Brown Hand Human body Textile Wood
Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Publication

· Registered
94 Posts
I went through the same decision-making process a couple of years ago. I scoured rimfirecentral and any other resource I could find Looking for images of different setups.

I finally settled on the Leupold fx-I 4x28 with the Browning mount on Talley rings. In my opinion, this combination checks all of the boxes. The scope is scaled perfectly to the rifle, the eye relief is no issue and it keeps the weight down. Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder but, this sure looks right to me.

View attachment 360088 View attachment 360089
I chose this exact setup several years ago. Looks right, feels right, performs right.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts