Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

S&W model 41 - weaver style mount.

3750 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Karl in NY
I want to buy a S&W model 41 weaver style scope mount. Does this mount fit the newest generation S&W model 41 pistols drilled and tapped from the factory, without removing the rear sight?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
568 Posts
Actually, all four screws holes in the Weaver top mount base #62, align with all four holes in the S&W Model 41, 7 inch barrel. Additionally Leupold's steel base 49992, with the rear windage adjustment, perfectly matches the Model 41 screw locations. This information is provided in the event someone wants all four screws engaged but is hung up on the error above.

· Premium Member
30,610 Posts
The Weaver 62 base aligns with all four holes but there is a gap under the front hole. If you were to tighten down the front screw on the 7" barrel would bend the rail. I put the front screw in on my 7" barrel just snug with locktite to make it look good, but it isn't tight.

· Registered
168 Posts
the barrel received a few days ago from the PC was a cut down 7" using the weaver 62 base the 3 rear screws would pull the base flat to the top of the barrel when the froward screw toward the muzzle was added the base took a slight bend. there seem to be a difference between the 5.5 and the 7" top contour on the the different barrels.

· Registered
168 Posts
will try cutting the weaver base and using only the rear portion secured w/ 2 screws since i have mounted and will be using a optima sight. this should take care of the 3 vs. 4 screw problem and gap using the weaver base.

· Registered
568 Posts
The support or non-support type at the front screw depends on how far back the top is machined. Just yesterday I looked at two different 41s, which were machined differently; one past the fourth hole and one in front. Strange that two barrels on recently manufactured model 41s would be so different.
And yes, the Leupold base fits but does not use the Weaver type rings. The spacing is somewhat limited with these rings, but they would be stronger, if that is even an issue with a .22 caliber. Would like to find the Weaver rail though, in a matte finish. Have only found it in gloss which I prefer not to have in the upper plane. Suppose I could have it black anodized but gee, at what expense.

· Registered
205 Posts
general p. said:
The support or non-support type at the front screw depends on how far back the top is machined. Just yesterday I looked at two different 41s, which were machined differently; one past the fourth hole and one in front. Strange that two barrels on recently manufactured model 41s would be so different.
The support or non-support at the front screw is only an issue with the 7" barrels...all factory drilled and tapped 5.5" barrels will have full support at all four screws. But, according to the Gil Hebard catalog, 7" barrels made after 1999 have a different milling contour and it appears that those barrels can only use the three rear-most screws. Three screws should be plenty, though.

With post-1999 7" barrels, either leave out the front screw, or use a shim between the mount and barrel for that screw location, to avoid bending the front portion of the Weaver #62.

Hope this clarifies rather than confuses...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.