Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm still trying to pick out a rimfire pistol for some plinkin' and target fun. The more accurate, the better. How do you all feel about the Model 22? I can't find much about it, but the price seems right. I was all but settled on a Ruger, but it will be a while before I get anything. In the mean time, I keep looking around and getting more ideas... :rolleyes:
Anyway, any thoughts you could share would be great.

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have the 22s. I like it but .......
I'm not crazy about how it's made, the sight rail is cheap pot metal and will break easily. It used to have a hook molded in the back that linked up to a hook in the handle to hold everything together. The hook broke off and I dont remember it happening.
S&W replaced it free of charge, the new one had a steel hook rivited to the rail, I dont know if the new pistols are now made like this or not ... something to look into.
The guide rod, spring and nylon buffer (order a bunch of extra buffers, they wear out fast) like to take off like a rocket when taking it down or putting it together unless you're REAL careful and hold it EXACTLY they way they show in the manual (like all things, the more you do it the easier it gets).
All in all it's nice for a starter but to tell the truth I havent used it much since I bought a ruger and a S&W 617 ... more expensive but more accurate.
Check out the Browning Buckmark, about the same price, not as heavy and just as accurate.

·
Registered
207 Posts
check out my thread just below...

i just got the 22s, I posted my first impression of it below and got some great responses. The gun just keeps getting better the more I shoot it. I like it better than the mark II's that I have owned/shot.

·
Registered
645 Posts
AK Matt ... How is the rear of the sight rail built ... molded or steel rivited hook ... I havent seen a new one in over a year and was wondering if they changed it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The hook is held in by a rivet. So far have about a 1000 rounds through the pistol. it is functioning great. A couple of hangups here and there but nothing to b**** about. The plastic recoil buffer looks good. Plus they include two with the gun so I think I should be set for about 6000 rounds easy. its been a great pistol!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Matt, it's nice to know they're shipping with the new style sight rail.
What ammo are you using? I was using only CCi mini mags and they would pound the hell out of the buffer.
Also broke the firing pin once so I bought a few to keep handy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ive been using stingers, minimags,yellow jackets,fed lighting,aquila match, standard velocity, rws subsonic,blazers, win xperts and I think I even shot a box of vipers through it. It seems to really like the stingers and fed lightiings. I cleaned my gun today and the plastic buffer has a chip in one side of it, but other than that I think it will still be usable, still has alot of thickness. The gun, after today has about 1300 rounds through it. The bulk of the shots fired were just high velocity (fed lightings,win xperts, rem yellow jackets) it has 150 rounds of stingers through it and 200 rounds of minimags

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.