Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, how much better is the 41?

Target shooting will be what I do most, weather it field or range, it will punch paper more then anything. I will use it as a plinker, pest control 2nd.

I don't mind spending the extra cash if it is going to really outshine the buckmark.

From what I have seen casually looking online, the 41 is close to a grand, and the buckmark is around 500. so twice as much. right?

2nd question,

Will both of these be able to use .22 shorts or even cb if loaded singley?

·
Registered
481 Posts
I don't see how short or cb's could NOT fire. They probably won't eject correctly but who cares.

Nothing wrong with the Buckmark but if you've got the money for the 41...that's what I'd get. The extra money you spend will neither be remembered or missed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see how short or cb's could NOT fire. They probably won't eject correctly but who cares.

Nothing wrong with the Buckmark but if you've got the money for the 41...that's what I'd get. The extra money you spend will neither be remembered or missed.
So they would need to be picked out one by one?

True about the cash, in the long run the gun would last a long time, and I would end up spending it on something else.

Who has shot both, input?

thanks.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
you'll have to manually cycle the slide; they ought to extract ok.

But they probably wont feed from the mag, and they'll be an unholy pain to load manually due to the topstrap.

CB longs may well feed.

I think the Buckmark may be screwy to clean( Buckmark owners please comment); the M41 easily breaks down to gripframe, slide and barrel. Buy a Clark challenger barrel and even load shorts ( no topstrap)

·
Registered
481 Posts
So they would need to be picked out one by one?

True about the cash, in the long run the gun would last a long time, and I would end up spending it on something else.

Who has shot both, input?

thanks.
No, what I meant was that they will not have enough 'umph' to drive the slide back far enough to hit the ejector. They will probably stovepipe.

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
Like the title says, how much better is the 41?

Target shooting will be what I do most, weather it field or range, it will punch paper more then anything. I will use it as a plinker, pest control 2nd.

I don't mind spending the extra cash if it is going to really outshine the buckmark.

From what I have seen casually looking online, the 41 is close to a grand, and the buckmark is around 500. so twice as much. right?

2nd question,

Will both of these be able to use .22 shorts or even cb if loaded singley?
I have shot both, but only own the S&W 41 and several Belgium Browning pistols which were the predecessors to the BuckMark. The 41 is a better built gun than the BuckMark given the fact that it has a steel frame and a lot more machining involved. The question is does it shoot better. I think so, especially when you consider the trigger. I also know that you can get a 41 for less than $600 used in excellent condition. I paid $450 a few years ago for my S&W model 41. If money is an issue you won't be disappointed with the BuckMark, because it is a great pistol. I shoot my Challenger a lot more than my 41 and it gets fed all the cheap ammo. I save the good ammo for the 41. When testing them with match ammo, on a rest, the Challenger will shoot as good as the S&W 41.
As far as the week 22 rimfire rounds, they will fire, but some won't eject because they don't have the power to overcome the slide and recoil spring. All you have to do is manually eject them.

Check with "chim", he is one of the resident BuckMark experts and he can give you a lot of info on them.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
I've owned both, and both are quality pistols. However, if the S&W 41 is within your budget, it would be my definite choice. It's been time proven as a competitive target pistol, and will maintain it's value for years to come.

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
Had both. S&W is still with me. Buck Mark shoot good and had a easy trigger.
Never did like the B-Mark. Think the S&W had me spoiled. Like the Ruger mk11
Slab side but the trigger needs work.
I have one too and you are right about the trigger.

The Belgium Brownings are right up there with the S&W 41, especially the Medalist.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I have owned both, enjoyed both, and still have the 41. Although it was a fine pistol, the Buckmark is not in the same league as the 41. The Buckmark requires an Allen wrench to take down, though it is not difficult. The problem with the Buckmark, is that you are comparing it to one of the finest designed and built pistols of all time - the S&W 41, and just cannot stand up. As others have stated, if you have the money, buy the 41. You will never look back.
gkn

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
There are a lot of guns that have come and gone (some stayed) over the years. One that I've never owned is the S&W 41. I fired a couple and had the chance to test drive a used one with the intent of buying it. Probably would have bought it had it not malfed multiple times.

According to a few shooters I know, the 41 is somewhat finicky. There are at least two 41 shooters that always put a drop of oil on the top round in a mag. I don't know if that is necessary, for show or perhaps superstition. In any case, that isn't something I'd put up with.

One thing most people overlook or don't seem to have an awareness of is how the shooter and the pistol work together. Several years ago I bought what I consider to be the best, most well thought out and manufactured pistol available - a Walther GSP Expert. It was a combination of art and craftsmanship. I really wanted it to be the last target pistol I'd ever need.

After trying it for a couple years, it was evident that I could still shoot higher scores with a Buck Mark. One of the kids liked it so he got a bargain..........chim

·
Registered
347 Posts
There are a lot of guns that have come and gone (some stayed) over the years. One that I've never owned is the S&W 41. I fired a couple and had the chance to test drive a used one with the intent of buying it. Probably would have bought it had it not malfed multiple times.

According to a few shooters I know, the 41 is somewhat finicky. There are at least two 41 shooters that always put a drop of oil on the top round in a mag. I don't know if that is necessary, for show or perhaps superstition. In any case, that isn't something I'd put up with.

One thing most people overlook or don't seem to have an awareness of is how the shooter and the pistol work together. Several years ago I bought what I consider to be the best, most well thought out and manufactured pistol available - a Walther GSP Expert. It was a combination of art and craftsmanship. I really wanted it to be the last target pistol I'd ever need.

After trying it for a couple years, it was evident that I could still shoot higher scores with a Buck Mark. One of the kids liked it so he got a bargain..........chim
I wish I knew you when you sold that Walther GSP. That is one sweet pistol. Had the pleasure of firing one. I put all of them in the black at 50 ft. Five that is. Now for the Browning question. I have used a Challenger I that had a very nice trigger that in my opinion shot as well as a 41. The angle of the Challengers grips support the pistol better against your palm. The pistol simply balances itself. This pistol had Medalist grips that are well designed.

I own 2 41's. Early 5.5" bull barrel with cocking indicator and a later 7". Both have red dots. The 41 needs to be kept clean where the bolt mates the barrel. You will end up with pin strikes too weak for primer ignition when carbon builds. I have never heard of using oil on the first round but understand the principal. I found the 41 somewhat finicky with light charged subs. They can stove and ruin your day. I shouldn't but do use HV ammo for pin shoots. I want more energy and increased reliability. The trigger is by far the strongest attribute when one considers a 41. Factory trigger is light and crisp with an over travel adjustment. From rest the 41 can easily make 1/2 inch holes at 50 feet. It has less recoil because of the heavy barrel which gets you on target quicker for your next shot. The grips fit my large hand well. I wish the grips were angled more like a Browning or a Ruger. Mags are more plentiful and less expensive for the 41. Now for price. I think you may want to venture out to local gun dealers for used guns. These things are coming out of the woodwork with this weak economy. There is also the 30 year rule for collector items that cycles collectibles. Check Gun Broker for deals. I would buy an older one that is like new. If someone has drilled it for a scope then it's value has greatly diminished. It will still shoot. You should be able to purchase one in the 6-800 rage with a scope, box and extra mags. Be patient as the are out there.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The "tiny drop of oil on the first round" of a M41 five shot magazine is an old bullsye shooter's trick that I've needed to use many times to get my 41's to cycle Tenex. Without it, I don't get through a string without a hang-up. But one must be careful not to add too much oil or the chamber will quickly foul with residue and not cycle well either. Once I found CCI-SV's cycled smoothly in my guns without that drop of oil I just kept using them though my pistols. The oil trick causes the pistols to foul much quicker and that means more frequent chamber cleaning, sometimes even in the middle of a match. Not a problem for the M41 since the take-down is so quick, but cleaning in the middle of a match does tend to break your pre-string prep routine.

R,
Bullseye

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
My 41 is definitely more finicky than my Belgium Challenger. That is why the Challenger gets fed everything from SV to Hyper Velocity and all the bulk ammo I can shoot:D. The 41 couldn't take the abuse that I give the Challenger. It isn't that I am rough on the gun, its just that I use it a lot and I don't baby it. My 41 just won't function with HV ammo without a few stoppages. It only gets my better ammo, and therefore it doesn't get shot much.
The Challenger can do everything from plinking to competition and be able to shoot better than I do. The only down side was the cost of mags and I solved that problem.

·
Registered
595 Posts
heres my take, this weekend we had a "22 shoot" on my range at my house, we had 4 guys and together we had some very interesting equipment, the higher quality guns were,..... browning medalist, 2 s&w 41 2 belgian challengers, 3 worked over rugers, afew high standards, several buckmarks, a stoeger luger, and even a colt ace, and acouple of colt revolvers, and a 1st series colt woodsman match target
we all shot each others guns, just picked up whatever happened to not be in someone elses hand,
but at the end of the day it was agreed , that the sweetest trigger pull belonged to the high standard supermatic citation, <hate to admit, > because im a die hard browning man, but all 4 of us thought that the High standard was the smoothest and lightest of the bunch, now im not saying every high standard has a trigger like this, this gun came from a older gentleman that was very competative in bullseye shooting back in the early 70s, so im sure its been "tweaked" some, but I feel that we had a very good group of quality guns to judge by, im not ready to give up my belgian brownings just yet, but that high standard sure opened our eyes, now if I can just talk my g/friend out of that supermatic citation, that I bought her for her b/day:p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.