Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For you guys who have been drooling for one, but could not find.

http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_16&products_id=299

Since I have already paid for mine, the guy promised to hand select me the best one and hand deliver it to this weekends gunshow!

If you are going to the GB show in Houston, or a Dallas/Ft. Worth resident and want one, call him today. All others can do the mail order thing.

I have been wanting one since AIM sold out in January, could not find one anywhere for love or money, just happened on this while researching FAL parts kits, recognized the name as a vender of every local gunshow and called him to deal.

How's that for lucky?:)

Oh if you do order from him be sure that "William" sent you via RFC I don't think it will get me any special treatment, but it might get some goodies for RFCers in the future.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Can someone tell me specifics

I have some questions about the M70 and can't find any details:

Do they have 2 stage triggers and how low weight of pull do they go?

Do they lock up only on the bolt handle or do the bolts have true lugs?

What diameter is the receiver, an Anschutz is ~ 1.17", how do these compare?

Are the barrels pinned or screwed in?

What type of wood?

Do they have true match chambers, do the bullets engrave heavily when chambered?

Of those imported, what is the internal condition of the barrels you have seen?slugged them, bore scoped?

Has anyone shot them with high quality match quality ammo at 50 yards, what groups did you get?

thanks for helping

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congratulations on your purchase. Where and when is the GB show in Houston?
George R. Brown convention center, this upcoming Saturday 9-5, Sunday 10-5

check their website:

http://www.texasgunshows.com/

The BIG show for Houston is two weeks later weekend at the Reliant center

http://www.hgca.org/

I will be out of town then.

I will not garauntee the S&L M70's, since I have no way of knowing how many they are taking, Check their website and If you have questions, call them.

http://www.militarygunsupply.com

Bill, as far as it goes, I only know of this rifle from others that frequent this site as well as other shooting forums, but I have yet to find an owner who was unhappy over their rifle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can answer some of your questions now but some will have wait untill I get back home!

I have some questions about the M70 and can't find any details:

Do they have 2 stage triggers and how low weight of pull do they go? YES 2 STAGE ADJUSTABLE SEAR ENGAGMENT CAN BE ADJUSTED TO MEAR OZS.

Do they lock up only on the bolt handle or do the bolts have true lugs?
BOLT HANDLE LOCK UP.

What diameter is the receiver, an Anschutz is ~ 1.17", how do these compare?
RECEIVER IS .981 dia. BARREL LENGTH IS 26 1/2" TAPERING FROM .981" TO .851".

Are the barrels pinned or screwed in?
BARREL IS PINNED TO RECEIVER

What type of wood?
MINE IS BEECH, BUT SOME ARE WALNUT..

Do they have true match chambers, do the bullets engrave heavily when chambered?
CHAMBER IS VERY TIGHT! WILL CHECK ON ENGRAVING TONIGHT.

Of those imported, what is the internal condition of the barrels you have seen?slugged them, bore scoped?
MINE LOOKED TO BE UNFIRED! BORE IS .223" and LANDS ARE .217"

Has anyone shot them with high quality match quality ammo at 50 yards, what groups did you get?
25 YARD WITH AQUILLA MATCH RIFLE AMMO ONE RAGGED HOLE ABOUT .300 DIAMETER WITH APERTURE SIGHTS.

thanks for helping

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well cvedrick - are you pleased with the the S&L you got this weekend at the gun show? Tell us about the quality of the gun, etc. If you can give me the barrel number or portion of it (ex. 18,XXX) I can give you a rough idea of when it was made and the exact model number - not ALL S&L 22 lr are true M70s.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
GOt it

I actually met with the guy "Bill" and he had been given three to bring to houston, One had a missing front sight insert the rear peep was broken and the stock was seriously buggered stickers major scratches, majic marker etc. And every one of the screws had gouged out slots.

One had a fairly nice stock and sights but the receiver had several gouges and the bolt would barely go down enough to engage the lugs minimally.

One had really pretty blueing, but the stock was not pretty, the front peep was smaller than the other two, was missing the insert and the rear sight had a broken peep also no visable adjustments for trigger missing one sling swivel.

None of the numbers on the bolts matched the receivers, but at the same time only fit the receiver they came in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After about an hour, and the loan of some screwdrivers, I pieced together the following:

0.587 ID front globe sight (corresponds to Parker Hale)

Evenly blued barrel with several stickers, minor scratches and minimal surface rust. Bright shiny bore with clean crown and clearly defined lands and grooves with minimal wear.

Receiver # 18680 (CAI has their import stamp and a completely different serial #) Firing pin is +/- 9:30 position bolt falls out when in the open position, trigger has a small allen screw behind the trigger.

Rear sight has no scale markings other than a 50 and a tick mark corresponding to the elevation.

Stock is of dark wood, appearently walnut with good grain structure, some figuring in buttstock area, minimal dings and scratches and no cracks or visible repairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Took it to the Texas City range Sunday. (I never can get really comfortable on their benches) Shot 1" squares at 25yd all day. When I really tried I got touching groups but not 1-hole (again my bad, not the gun) no problems extracting at all, in fact I soon found that after cycling the bolt open, I just had to tip the rifle 90 degrees and the empty fell right out. :harry:

*** By touching groups, I mean literally groups that are centered less than the diameter of the bullet (0.223) In fact I feel confident that if I could have gotten comfortable at the bench I could have shot 1 ragged hole (10 shots in +/- 0.30) or even a true one hole (0.223)***

However due to my own lack of practice and a seat/bench setup that leaves me hunched over with no possible way to properly align my supporting arm I feel pretty durned good about this rifle. Maybee next time I will take a mat and flop my fat old belly down onto it and shoot prone.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds like you got it together. With the receiver number, the gun was made in the early 70's (1970-71). It is a M70 which started production around receiver number 17,500 and ended around 24,500. S&L made most of their stocks in beech but did offer a walnut upgrade. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the detailed answer.

Frankly this rifle does not appear to be what I am interested in. I want something approaching Anschutz or Shul level capabilities and the lack of opposing lugs and a small diameter receiver will limit the possibilties with the rifle. And accuracy for me needs to be <.25 @50yards, given the right platform I'll rebarrel to to get there, but the platform is limting here.

Does sound like a good value for the money though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.