Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Model 45 .177 rifle that I have tried to scope a couple of times. Using air rifle BSA scopes and once a RWS base/rings and another time a B-Square adjustable base/rings, I could never get it to hold a zero. I even drilled a pothole into my scope rail and screwed the recoil lug down into it. I finally sold both bases and went back to factory sights. Does anyone know if this rifle is just too rough to work with a socpe?

THanks for advice,

Khornet

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did you try another scope?

I don't hold BSA scopes in very high regard, I'd be checking the scope for issues first most likely

The B square mounts should have been plenty good enough.

Also, make certain you rule out shooter error, I assume you've done alot of shooting with it and know how to make it group well.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bet you are correct on the scope, but I placed it on a Mossy .22 target rifle and it makes one hole at 25y(Yes, I have made a few primer dents in my day).
I guess I will always be curious as to why I couldn't get it to work out after many tries with different gear and scopes. Someone told me once that those model 45's were some of the toughest ones ever made on scopes. I know the recoil is nothing on a rimfire in comparison. Just probing for experiences with this rifle and scopes.

Thanks,

Khornet

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have a RWS model 45 and have had no scope problems. I have an older Bushnell Sportsman 4x AO scope that worked well for me when I used to shoot field target. No, it isn't as good as most but I had no money back then.
I did get a B-Square one piece airgun mount if I recall correctly as I was warned I might need to correct for barrel droop. I didn't and the scope has held zero for 15 years or so. I am not changing anything even though there are better scopes.

Good luck with yours.

- Frank

·
Registered
152 Posts
simple

accushot one piece mount with four bolt across plus scope stop pin. I mounted this with bsa scope first 1000 shots i had problems but tried Loc tight on every bolt including the mount. After all that i got it locked down shooting very very accurate. Decided to sell the gun and removed the mount and scope wish i didnt i had that thing dialed in (rws 34) Another thing you have to do clean the oil off the bolts first before loc tight

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
This Tasco 4x has been on my RWS 45 for over 20 years now and had no problems. I think the mount is a RWS C mount, and it does have scope stops as part of the mount.

The 45 was the first RWS longstroke iirc, and does have some recoil. Compared to more modern ones though (RWS 350, etc.), I don't consider a real scope killer.

BTW, you can find the year of manufacture o the left hand side of receiver, just above the trigger or thereabouts. The above is made in '86, iirc.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a Bushnell Trophy 4-12 on my 45 with the old RWS C mount. I backed the mount up to the screw that holds the rail after I degreased the rail. It has been there for 18 years and shoots great. It was the first gun I used for field target and after I got my TX200 I used to loan it to new shooters so its had alot of pellets through it. It has never moved and is still as accurate as the day I bought it.

Sam

·
Registered
622 Posts
I also suspect the adj mount. Heard similar problems before with adj mounts.
Indeed, try a good quality solid mount. With pin or stop block if necessary.
No springer is too much to scope up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.