Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new (and first) 10/22 came with a screw on weaver mount for a scope. I screwed it on, and ran down to Bass-Pro and picked up an inexpensive Bushnell 3-9x32 that came w/ weaver rings to mount on it.

Now I'm home and found that the rings don't fit over the WIDE portion of the weaver mount. There is a slightly raised less than the thickness of a dime portion the mounts can get a very tenuous grip on, but this does not look anything near right (there's a big gap between the inside of the mount and the rings when you do this (sorry, no digital cam :( )

Is this ruger mount some propriatary/ custom size?

·
Registered
481 Posts
I haven't bought a new 1022 in a long while but they used to come with a tip off 22 mount not a weaver base. If this is still the case the Weaver rings won't fit. You either need to get a set of tip off 22 rings or a real weaver base. I would go for he weaver base as it's hard to keep those 22 rings from slipping.

Ross

·
Registered
842 Posts
Weaver bases

two kinds are

these ones of which you speak

and
these ones which you want.

you have a weaver base, the rings you bought are for the smaller 30mm? rings.

The ones that clamp to the whole base are more reliable. No chance of moving and they are secured very well. I learned this the hard way :mad:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys, but that isn't quite what this scopes rings look like.

Here's the make, model and the best pic I could find.
Bushnell 76-2239c

Link to one being sold;
http://www.binocularsdirect.com/Bushnell_Rifle_Scopes/dprfmzmylboc.html
and
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ding=UTF8&n=3412851&s=sporting-goods&v=glance

Someone mentioned the 10/22 didn't come w/ a weaver mount.... well, I had tried a BSA (aka pos) red dot with weaver rings/mount and it fit fine... just didn't work well ;)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Looks like your problem is the exact oposite of what I first thought. You evidently do have a weaver base but your scope came with the 22 tip off rings. So you just need another set of rings, weaver style. The 22 tip off rings are made to fit a 7/8ths wide base IIRC and the rings cross bolts are above the base and don't fit into groves in the base like the Weaver style. Hope this helps.

Ross

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Weaver Style Base

m15a4,

The Weaver style base now supplied with the Ruger 10/22 is a dual use base, ie, it can be used to mount either the 3/8" tip-off rings or any Weaver style ring with the cross bolt. It is very similar to the popular Weaver TO-9 base. The 3/8" tip-off rings are obviously lighter duty and for the most part not well suited to larger or heavier scopes. These rings depend solely on the clamping pressure on the 3/8" dovetail to prevent the scope from moving forward under recoil. On a Ruger 10/22 the installation of a urethane bolt stop may help prevent the rings from slipping if the problem is marginal. Best solution, of course, is to install a set of Weaver style rings with the cross bolts.

Not part of your question, but I still recommend the installation of a urethane bolt buffer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ccw1911 said:
Looks like your problem is the exact oposite of what I first thought. You evidently do have a weaver base but your scope came with the 22 tip off rings. So you just need another set of rings, weaver style. The 22 tip off rings are made to fit a 7/8ths wide base IIRC and the rings cross bolts are above the base and don't fit into groves in the base like the Weaver style. Hope this helps.

Ross
Tip off rings. Sounds like an apt name as the scope looks like the slightest tap will tip it off. :p
452 shooter said:
I bought a new 10/22 about a month ago - it came with a Weaver style base which also has a convetional "tip off" groove machined on top. At the moment I have my scope mounted using the groove.
That's what I was doing a poor job of describing above. Never heard of "Tip off" before, so wasn't sure what I was looking at.
Hipshot said:
The Weaver style base now supplied with the Ruger 10/22 is a dual use base, ie, it can be used to mount either the 3/8" tip-off rings or any Weaver style ring with the cross bolt. ...
...On a Ruger 10/22 the installation of a urethane bolt stop may help prevent the rings from slipping if the problem is marginal. Best solution, of course, is to install a set of Weaver style rings with the cross bolts.

Not part of your question, but I still recommend the installation of a urethane bolt buffer.
Never be hesitant to give extra tips like that, they're helpfull and apriciated. I'll use search to locate the bolt stop you recomended.

Thanks 1 and all for the help

:t

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
In the 2005 Ruger catalog Ruger still uses the term "tip-off" in their description - All 22 LR models include a combination 22 tip-off and Weaver -type scope base adapter." in reference to the scope base supplied with the 10/22.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.