Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the first rifles produced were torqued to 25 inch pounds ( I'll call this a "gen1" stock). Then Ruger perhaps made a stock modification and the torque settings increased to 35 inch pounds. (I'll call this a gen2 stock). Unfortunately, Ruger's instruction booklet was written for the gen2 stock. Those of us with the gen1 stock got a flyer insert stating not to torque the stock screws over 25 inch pounds.
I've bedded my stock with tin foil to tighten things up and when I reassembled it, stopped at 25 inch pounds.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm assuming my RPRim is a gen 1 as I bought it when it first came out. Don't know what a Gen 2 would be. But my manual lists it at 35 in/lbs. What are the differences between a gen 1 and gen 2?

Edit: I've Googled Ruger Precision Rimfire Gen 1 vs Gen 2. I can't find anything for the rimfire. For the center fire Rifle there is a Gen 2. Anyone else have information?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I purchased my rifle either in late February or early March, right after they came out. I think I got the first one that came to my local gun store. The manual stated 35 inch pounds, but there was also a flier that correncted the manual and stated 25 inch pounds. Since I was an early buyer, it was before others purchased theirs and began returning them.

The terms "gen1" and "gen2" stocks are mine, which I hope I had made clear in post #2 above.

My question to anyone who has recently purchased one of these rifles, does the paperwork still include the flier stating the torque settings should not be greater than 25 inch pounds?

·
Registered
129 Posts
That addendum was only included in version 1. Version 2 stocked rifles do not have the addendum included. If you are having accuaracy issues contact Ruger CS and let them know. In my case they provided me prepaid return label for the rifle and I made sure to tell them I wanted the newer version of the stock. I got a new stock, nut and barrel in return. Shot much better with the replacement parts.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I bought my RPR in Feb, 2018. 35 inch lbs. was the spec in the manual. I sent it back for accuracy and weak ejection issues. They replaced the barrel and bolt. Appears they did nothing regarding the weak ejection. No mention was made of ejection in the vague service description they gave.

I checked the breakaway torque on the action screws they set and it was 35-37 inch lbs.

·
Premium Member
10,149 Posts
Makes no sense

Why would they print a manual that says 35 lbs , for a gun that needs 25 lbs., and then stick a flyer in , saying 25 lbs ? I'm more likely to believe that the guns were having problems , they stuck this flyer in, hoping the problems would stop, and fixed the problems , and stoped sticking the flyers in. If you want to call this gen 1 And gen 2 , or version 1 or version 2 , go ahead.Ruger will never admit to that.Who ever was is in charge of this product really must be pulling their hair out!

I bought mine in May 2018 , no flyer, sent back twice, second time they kept it to be destroyed. Their choice not mine.

In any case the gun is not what they represented it to be . There is nothing Precision about this gun. IMHO RPR is RPOS. Way too many problems, even for a new product.And very poor customer support, I don't mean the return process or the turn around, those are fine, but representing that they had fixed the gun and sending it back to me unfixed and dinged up , not acceptable.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Toomany22s this was the official reply I received from Ruger's CS:

Ruger Customer Service
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL
Replies to this email are not monitored. If you need to follow-up on this request, please use this link.
Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
Your Customer Service Issue # is 10088889

We received your inquiry. The 25 in/lbs. addendum was for an older revision Chassis where the greater torque would damage the bedding surface. If you did not have the addendum sheet in the box then you should have a new Chassis, where the 35 in/lbs. is correct. If the issue persists we recommend you send the complete firearm in for evaluation. Please contact us at 336-949-5200 to have an RMA number issued. Have your serial number handy when calling.

Ruger Customer Service

Please note: this email is sent by an automated system from an account that is not monitored. Responses to this email will not be seen. If you need to follow up regarding your issue, please use the customer service form on the Ruger.com website or you can contact a customer service representative via telephone at 336-949-5200.
Ruger

When I sent the rifle in for service I asked to have the updated version of the stock installed. There is a difference between the two versions; the newer version accuracy was noticeably better.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Toomany22s this was the official reply I received from Ruger's CS:

Ruger Customer Service
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL
Replies to this email are not monitored. If you need to follow-up on this request, please use this link.
Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
Your Customer Service Issue # is 10088889

We received your inquiry. The 25 in/lbs. addendum was for an older revision Chassis where the greater torque would damage the bedding surface. If you did not have the addendum sheet in the box then you should have a new Chassis, where the 35 in/lbs. is correct. If the issue persists we recommend you send the complete firearm in for evaluation. Please contact us at 336-949-5200 to have an RMA number issued. Have your serial number handy when calling.

Ruger Customer Service

Please note: this email is sent by an automated system from an account that is not monitored. Responses to this email will not be seen. If you need to follow up regarding your issue, please use the customer service form on the Ruger.com website or you can contact a customer service representative via telephone at 336-949-5200.
Ruger

When I sent the rifle in for service I asked to have the updated version of the stock installed. There is a difference between the two versions; the newer version accuracy was noticeably better.
Well thanks for clearing that up by contacting Ruger. I'm going to double check my box to see if the slip is in there. I don't recall seeing one originally.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for posting that information from Ruger. Ever since I heard about the rifle back in January, I've been following people's comments on it on various forms, so I may have seen or heard about their responce before. That's the reason I used the terms "gen1 & Gen 2.
stocks"
My gen 1 rifle is fairly accurate, at times, but I think it's capable of doing better, but that will take a better barrel, or more specifically, a better chamber.

·
Premium Member
10,149 Posts
ok i believe you

i just don't believe ruger. what is a "revision chassis"? why would you print the manual with the torque settings from the new chassis ?
Logically the manual would have the old chassis # and the insert would have the new chassis #

they only made this rifle staring in 2017 , what are the serial # cut off dates between the old # and the new # , I think this is hogwash.

I think they had problems , and they stuck the inserts in to fix the problems, and then it didn't fix the problem and they stopped putting the insert in.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i just don't believe ruger. what is a "revision chassis"? why would you print the manual with the torque settings from the new chassis ?
Logically the manual would have the old chassis # and the insert would have the new chassis #

they only made this rifle staring in 2017 , what are the serial # cut off dates between the old # and the new # , I think this is hogwash.

I think they had problems , and they stuck the inserts in to fix the problems, and then it didn't fix the problem and they stopped putting the insert in.
Most likely had to do with the glass to nylon mix that Ruger used for their stock. The designers originally planned for the 35 pound torque but the chassis composite was too brittle and broke under the torque pressure.

I have no problem with Ruger; their CS didn't give me any grief about returning the rifle. What I got back was a rifle with a new stock and barrel. The new stock fixed the torque issue. In addition your now famous loose rear bedding block issue appeared to be fixed on mine as well. That block requires quite a strong pull to get it out now.

While the accuracy and consistency wasn't in the Vudoo class neither was the price paid. From the moment that I purchased the gun I knew that I was going to get an aftermarket barrel. The 18 inch profile was not to my liking, got a 22 inch GM barrel that I'm very pleased with.

We've done this dance before but that's my $.02 worth.

·
Premium Member
10,149 Posts
I'm famous!

I'm glad they fixed yours , and everybody else's who sent theirs back.in the end it just wasn't meant to be for me. But famous, wow ! Part # 54 where are you?

Now I'm struggling with the 1022 Target Lite I swapped into, it shot low way low,so back it went , and a replacement is now on its way back. I hope I get to shoot it before Xmas, it's likely to become a gift for my ersatz nephew, if I can get it shooting good.

I might put it into the Hogue stock, and the hbb into its target stock. I think it might make a good squirrel gun

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.