38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It spoke to me, the little Ruger Standard Model with a 4" barrel
and stag grips, well worn but shootable. It was in the case with others
of its kind but with a big difference... because of the wear (about 45%
blue) in this upscale "collectors" shop it was priced about $100
cheaper than its other used stable mates. I gave it the once over and
found the wear is only superficial and she now is in lay-a-way waiting
for my next check. One reason I want it is because years ago I HAD a target model (6 1/2") that was in about the same condition but shot better than I could hold it. It was gone in a fit of tradeitus in which I did far worse on the deal. This one will not go, it is a keeper. (f l w) And also I currently do not have a .22 pistol in my safe.

kjeff22cal

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jimmy123x said:
I would be afraid to buy a used Ruger .22. Every ranges rental .22 is usually a Ruger, so I'd be afraid of getting a 100,000 round range rental queen.
This Ruger was not a "rental queen", it showed however a bit of holster wear and I've seen rental guns look like they have been fired only a few times and literally fall apart. This one had a slick but tight action and any parts needed is available. Sounds like the same argument about do not buy used LEO pistols because they go through 1,000s of rounds yearly or the same about milsurps..... My answer to that is new guns break too!!!

kjeff22cal

·
Registered
644 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the number of rounds through it. I have over 120,000 rounds through the MKI 5.5 target I bought new in 1969. I am on mainspring housing number 2, extractor number 4, recoil spring number 2, and did have it reblued by ruger in 1987. However it is still a great shooter shoots better than I can hold it. At one time scoped I was getting 1 inch groups at 50yds.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have my new to me Ruger .22 Standard Model (BTW it is a 6" barrel) with a pair of immitation stag horn grips. It also has some nicks and holster wear (character). Test fired it with Super Colibri (I'm in an urban area, no standard velocity ammo) to see if it fired, it does. Cannot wait to get it to my favorite range.

kjeff22cal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.