Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:AR15firin Bought a Race rifle. My first Ruger.

First I bought a Bushnell Banner 4-16x50 but ran out of adjustment range still 10 inches low at 50 yards.

So I bought a Burris 4.5-14x42AO and ran out of adjustment with the gun still shooting 8 inches low at 50 yards.

Mounts are Leupold. Race Rifle has a Weaver rail on top.

Typically, is it the gun itself? Or the mounts? Or the base? Seems it must not be the scopes...Is shimming ok? What do you shim with?

I'm about ready to wrap the whole lot around a tree. Help! :Flush:

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
There was a whole string here about the problem. Its common with 10/22s and longer barreled scopes. You can shim the mount, shim the rear ring bottom, or get special elliptical rings that will adjust. Doesn't take much. I've shimmed four simply by removing the grip tape from the top of the front ring and pasting it over the grip tape on the bottom of the rear ring.

·
Registered
62 Posts
madvalkyrie said:
:AR15firin Bought a Race rifle. My first Ruger.

First I bought a Bushnell Banner 4-16x50 but ran out of adjustment range still 10 inches low at 50 yards.

So I bought a Burris 4.5-14x42AO and ran out of adjustment with the gun still shooting 8 inches low at 50 yards.

Mounts are Leupold. Race Rifle has a Weaver rail on top.

Typically, is it the gun itself? Or the mounts? Or the base? Seems it must not be the scopes...Is shimming ok? What do you shim with?

I'm about ready to wrap the whole lot around a tree. Help! :Flush:
...Get you a set of Burris Z-Rings with plastic inserts...Buy the +.020 -.020 inserts...Put the -.020 in the bottom & +.020 in the top front mount ( BBL. END ) ...Problem solved.......

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ruger Race Rifle Scope Problem

We had the same problem on my Son's 10-22T when we replaced the stock with a new Ruger Race Rifle stock. Fortunately, the Leupold scope had enough adjustment to correct the low point of impact. (We later recentered the scope reticule in the tube and grounded the Leupold base to make the corrrection)

Just for our knowledge, we later installed the barrelled action back into it's otiginal stock, and it shot high. When we reinstalled the Race Rifle stock, it returned to the correct point of impact.

Since the barrel was fully floated in both stocks, it is my guess that (1) the bedding is the culprit, or (2) the unsupported barrel in the Race Rifle is vibrating differrently than it does in the original stock.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Burris and the Bushnell both have a ton of adjustment range. Seems to me just as much as the Leupold and Nikon and Zeiss scopes that I own. I am going to try shimming. There is no Burris dealer around here to get their system from. Also, I called Ruger. Apparently they have never heard of this problem with a RRR. They are sending me a new base. I have no idea how that will help. I called Riflescopes.com customer service. Some woman there had a very strange explanation, that made no sense to me. I have an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering...what she said was impossible. Unfortunately, thats where I bought the scope. I got the spotting scope as well which isn't much good but it was priced right.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Texan22 said:
We had the same problem on my Son's 10-22T when we replaced the stock with a new Ruger Race Rifle stock. Fortunately, the Leupold scope had enough adjustment to correct the low point of impact. (We later recentered the scope reticule in the tube and grounded the Leupold base to make the corrrection)

Just for our knowledge, we later installed the barrelled action back into it's otiginal stock, and it shot high. When we reinstalled the Race Rifle stock, it returned to the correct point of impact.

Since the barrel was fully floated in both stocks, it is my guess that (1) the bedding is the culprit, or (2) the unsupported barrel in the Race Rifle is vibrating differrently than it does in the original stock.
:yeahthat:

That being said I'm having the same problem with my RRR, First I took tape(masking) and shimmed under the rear base reinstalled the scope worked!!! I thought that the bases was too high so I got med rings the other day same problem arose again. I took the action from the stock and there seemed to be a serial?? number that was a couple of digits off.
Also I noticed that the first couple of inches of barrel within the stock probably would benfit from a good bed job or possiably the same method that Remington used on the 40X Rimfire which was a system of three floating spring loaded ball bearing this sytem was used towards the end of the barrel. So now I looking at shimming the rear bases to correct this. Or I could shave off a coupla thou on the front of the base to correct it.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Folks, all you need to fix the common problem with the Ruger 10/22 rifles are the Burris Signature Zee rings with the offset insert kit. If you have a credit/debit card, then you can order them from The Optic Zone, Midway, or anywhere else for that matter. Then you will have a perfect solution to your problem. No grinding bases, not aluminum shims, no tape gooing up your scope. Just mount the rings, use the inserts, and your problem is fixed. Try them once, and you'll be a believer.

Chunckchucker

·
Registered
65 Posts
http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/mounts.html
I Found this article which seem to prove some help. On my setup I'm using a Cheap Barska with Leupold bases and rings (weaver style). Maybe this will help some. Unless I misunderstand Chunckchucker I don't really see where the zee rings are better or adjustable to allow elevation over Leupold rings. Maybe I'm missing what Chunckchucker is saying???

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
You are missing what I am saying. The Burris Signature Zee rings have plastic inserts that come in 3 different sizes. .005, .010, and .020. They will allow you to adjust your scope up, down, right, and left without using your internal adjustments. This allows you to just about sight in the scope without using the internal adjustments. The Leupold/Redfield rings only allow you to use windage adjustments. The Leupold weaver style rings, as far as I know, don't have any external adjustment to them at all.

Chunckchucker

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hit the button without finishing. Once you get your scope close with the inserts, you can use the internal adjustments within the scope to do the final adjustments. This way, the scope will be closer to "mechanical zero", and as such you will have more adjustment available to you. A lot of the Ruger 10/22's have what is called the "hump" problem. That is, either the aluminum reciever has a small hump in the middle of it, or the painted on finish that Ruger applies is too thick in the area, causing the scope base to be pushed upward. With the scope pushed up, your impact will be low. The solution is either shimming, or using Signature rings. As shimming seems shoddy to me, I use the Signature Zee rings. Same concept, except that you don't have to worry about the scope being scratched by the rings.

Chunckchucker

·
Registered
62 Posts
Chunckchucker said:
You are missing what I am saying. The Burris Signature Zee rings have plastic inserts that come in 3 different sizes. .005, .010, and .020. They will allow you to adjust your scope up, down, right, and left without using your internal adjustments. This allows you to just about sight in the scope without using the internal adjustments. The Leupold/Redfield rings only allow you to use windage adjustments. The Leupold weaver style rings, as far as I know, don't have any external adjustment to them at all.

Chunckchucker
....Seem's nobody read my previous post either....... :bonk: .... :sleeping: ...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Sav-1SHOT said:
....Seem's nobody read my previous post either....... :bonk: .... :sleeping: ...
I would say that it got read, but some of these products may need a little more explanation to some. Heck, I'm from Missouri and sometimes you gotta draw a picture and "show me" what you're talking about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.