Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come my new Ruger shoots worse groups after a good cleaning? It takes about 200rds to get back to before cleaning groups. It almost seems like the more I shoot the better it gets . Like I am seasoning the barrel. Any one else noticed this?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Many rifles, rimfire and center fire will shoot better after a few rounds have been fired and some need more than a few. My RPR needs about 15 or 20 if I am shooting Eley and 5 or 10 with CCI SV but 200 seems a bit excessive. Have you tried cleaning with JB bore paste. It will polish the bore and make cleaning a very easy job it may also help your gun settle in a bit faster. I would also avoid using a brush or petroleum oils in the bore if possible. A few patches with Ballistol or a nitro powder solvent and a few dry patches are all you need until you see accuracy drop off, and that varies with each barrel. Some will go thousands of rounds before you notice any change and some only 300 or 400.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.