Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the local gun shop today, I ran across a couple of pistols I'm just beginning to get interested in.

1. Blued Mk I, 6 7/8" target barrel, and thumbrest wood grips, NIB with all the original paperwork and the original cardboard box with metal re-inforcements on the corners. He wants $350 for it.

2. Blued Mk II, 6 7/8" barrel, hard rubber grips, NIB with all paperwork and plastic box/case. He wants $300 for this one.

Having very little knowledge of these pistols, I figured I'd see what some of you folks had to say.

Thanks, Jay

·
Registered
686 Posts
If the Mark II is a Government Model get this.

Does it have a factory test target in the box? I know the early Blue 6 7/8" Government Target Mark II yellow box ones around 1985 - 1987 did have a factory test target in the box. These used a special chamber much like the 10/22Ts somewhere between the sporter and Bentz with a 32 oz trigger pull. I also Bought a Mark I 6 7/8 Target new many years ago it shoots good also, but nothing like the Early blue 6 7/8 Government Mark IIs.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, let me ask a pointed question.......

Which one would you buy?

I can get either pistol. I just don't know if one is more..... accurate, reliable, trouble free, and like that. I don't need a collectable, I want a shooter.

Thanks, Jay

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the MK1 tappered barrel target model and a MK2 5.5" bull barrel. They are both great shooters, however the MK2 is the best 22 for the money they have built. $175 for the MK1 is plenty, look around for a NIB MK2 5.5" bull no more than $425. Used one can be found, I picked up mine 3 months ago.
Jim

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I like the MKII feature of the bolt staying in the open position once the magazine is empty. The old MKI I once borrowed did not have this feature. In fact I am sure this is one of the improvements which distinguishes the MKII from the MKI. I like the MKII and own a couple at the moment - a 5.5" Bull and a 10" tapered bull.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Result's from a Ruger Mark-II

Jay said:
OK, let me ask a pointed question.......

Which one would you buy?

I can get either pistol. I just don't know if one is more..... accurate, reliable, trouble free, and like that. I don't need a collectable, I want a shooter.

Thanks, Jay
Hello Jay:
I was faced with the same issue as you. I had bought a Mark-II bull barrel many year's ago. I did NOT like the extra weight of that pistol from the barrel. I just picked up the mark-II tapered barrel shown. I also placed the after market millet sight's on it as it was a non adjustable model. Here is a picture of the FIRST time I put this pistol on paper with the new sight's. The two flier's out of the ten ring were prior to making the proper sight adjustment's. In reviewing the two pistol's I can say that they BOTH shot about the same in accuracy but I prefer the tapered barrel. The group may have been much smaller but blame that on "OLD EYE'S" not the pistol.I also agree with the responder that said the Mark-II has a neat feature of leaving the action open on the last shot and like that very much..Just a thought, Hammerdown.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Bull VS. Tapered Barrel's and the Myth behind them

Hello Jay:
It would be a simple Preferance of what you like. I do NOT believe the bull barrrel would be any more accurate than the tapered one. They use the same rifeling process at the factory when they cut the land's for either. I do feel that ones with bull barrel's may think they are more accurate do to the fact they are heavier and may be more easy to control for target shooting."CASE IN POINT" I own several revolver's with different barrel lengths. A friend told me once he would not own or buy a 2-1/2" Snub barrel revolver as they were not accurate. I found his statement FALSE !! If you practice long enough with a short barreled revolver you will get more accurate with it. It's that simple. I also found this true on the Bull barreled pistol's compared to the tapered barrel's. Practice makes the GROUPS shrink. I use to hunt wood chuck's for a hobby. I liked and owned two sporter rifles that were both light weight and fast. One was a 22-250 and the other was a 220 Swift caliber. I had a friend that thought his bull barrel rifle shot better than mine and I proved to him at the range one day this was FALSE as my group was smaller in diameter than his. I achieved this through MANY round's and lightened the trigger in my rifle to a clean 2 Pound's with NO creep.I did own a 22-250 In a bull barrel for awhile but saw no benifit other than weighing more when walking through all the hay lot's I used to hunt often so sold it and went back to my sporter. Just a thought. Regards, Hammerdown

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The Mark II is better priced and the last shot hold open feature is a big benefit over the Mark I. That Mark I is priced way over value. You'll get far more shooting enjoyment from the Mark II, and I can make that claim with confidence as I have all of the Ruger 22 auto models in my safe (I,II,III,22/45s).

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
636 Posts
as for collectablity the mk 1 would be a better choice. However if you were just going to shoot it the mk 11 would be a better choice IMHO. why? becuase the mk2 has readily available accesories including grips and mags. plus the mk 2 has more readily available parts if something was to go wrong.
just my .02

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I have had the Millet -White Outline Target, sight set on my Bull Barrel Mk'II 512 for 8-9 year's..
It does shoot better than some .22 rifle's for sure.
Freehand 12 oz can'z on a good day at 100 yard's, and 35 yard nickels with Wallyworld stuff...
Looked at the same set in Brownell's catalog just last night..
I think it is 38.00 for the rear and 18.oo for the front or near there.
2nd best mod I did to her.
Find someone that has them on there pistol ,and take a good look at the sight picture.
I bet you will want them.. IMO

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Jay said:
I don't need a collectable, I want a shooter.
Thanks, Jay
Here are some of my MKII 5.5" bull barrel.
Top , 10 shots @ 50 meters , 2X scope
Middle , 10 shots @ 25 yards , 2X scope
Bottom left , 10 shots @ 25 yards, 2X scope
Bottom right , 10 shots @ 50 ft , red dot

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
:) 452 :)
Fun, Is'nt it?
Mine supprises folk's on a very regular basis.
Includeing Myself..
Jed.. :t
I bought mine used from a friend that could not hit a can at 35 yard's with it stock..
He knew I was into my Colt 1911 .38 Super, and asked me if I was interested in buying it..
Within 5 week's he was beggin to get it back..
Maybe someday for him..
But not for a good while I am afraide..

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
My $.02: I have owned a Mark I and II, and I like the MarkII better, but only for the 10 round magazine, the last shot hold-open, and the little scallopy cut outs by the bolt handle. Of course, a file would fix that, and you can reverse the follower buttons on Mk II mags, to use them in the MK I, and somebody, somewhere posted directions on constructing a follower for the Mk I magazine that holds the bolt open after the last round goes 'bye 'bye.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.