Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any directions on how to do this? It looks complicated to say the least. I have a Ruger MK 1 made in 1952 with the Black Eagle grips. I picked it up for $269.00 and it's been a reliable pistol that I use in Bullseye competition.

I have noticed that it's getting gunked up and I was wondering if anyone had a detailed step by step setup with pictures I could use.

Thanks!

·
Registered
519 Posts
No pics, but its pretty easy to explain.

1- Make sure the pistol is unloaded. Remove the magazine and chack the chamber.

2- Dry fire the pistol. This is necessary to release the tension on the mainspring.

3- Remove the mainspring housing from the rear of the grip. pull the small finger outwards, then hinge the rest of the housing upwards. Remove it by pulling downwards, out of the pistol.

4- The upper should slide forward off of the grip frame.

At this point, the pistol should be in two pieces.

5- Pull the bolt rearwards, out of the back end of the upper.

Now, you can clean your receiver, barrel and chamber thoroughly.

6- Next, remove the guide rod/spring from the top of the bolt.

7- push out the firing pin stop (1/8" pin, passes thru the bolt). This will allow you to get in to clean the firing pin and the channel it rides in. When re-assembling, be sure to replace the firing pin return spring just as it came out.

8- You can also remove the extractor at this time. I use a small precision screwdriver to push the plunger back into the bolt, and a small pair of pliers to pull the extractor out of its slot. I also use a small vise to hold the bolt while I do this. It can be tricky, so if you aren't confident that you can get it back together, leave it alone.

You can also clean the lower up. Rather than tear it all the way apart, I just remove the grips and spray out the insides with carb cleaner, then blow it out with an air compressor.

Re-assembly-
Assuming you have the bolt back together, and the grips back on the frame-

1- Push the hammer down into the frame. Be sure that the strut (finger on the rear of the hammer) doesn't get wedged against anything.

2- Slide the upper back onto the lower.

3- Slide the bolt into the rear of the receiver.

4- With the muzzle pointing downwards, squeeze the trigger to put the hammer up out of the grip frame. You may need to nudge the hammer with a punch or screwdriver while pulling the trigger. The Hammer Strut should still be pointing downwards, towards the bottom of the grip.

5- Push the Mainspring housing pin back up thru the hole in the lower, and up thru the hole in the upper so that the end of it is sticking out of the top of the pistol, behind the rear sight.

6- With the muzzle pointing upwards at about a 45* angle (so that the hammer strut is pointing rearwards), hinge the mainspring housing back into the grip frame (Keep the finger hinged outward). The last fraction of an inch, you should feel some resistance- at this point, you want to snap the finger on the mainspring housing back into the housing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The other two have already given you the instructions, but I'll support them in it :). Just go to the ruger website and look at the .pdf of the manual. That's how I figured out how to do mine. (I also downloaded it and printed that part out).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.