Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Ruger 96 Owners, Need some Help please

321 3
I have a ruger 96/17 that i am gearing up to run all 4 popular rimfires and need some help on a couple of things;
1. Trigger, I want to do an adjustable trigger and would like to know how to go about doing it. I have read things on stoning and polishing but don't want to do something that couldn't be reversed, or that might render the gun useless if I went to far.
2. Creep. would like to get rid of that mile-long pull before the trigger actually enguages the hammer. What's the best way to do this.
I have searched here and on the internet for hours at a time and there just isn't much info out there on moding the 96. I hope to have this thing up and running by summers end with with all 4 calibers, out of a 22 magnum stock with a custom lever so as not to have to alter the grip on the stock.
I am a pretty good diy'er and also know when it's over my head and need to get help. If I can find out the answers to the above ?'s I'm sure I can get it done. Many thanks for any help you guys can give.

Simple.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
ttshooters has a great rep on these things.

i did a field grade job on mine.....just changed the angle on the sear notch of hammer and a polish job to smooth functioning during cycling....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Simple17

sounds nice, a Ruger Quad :t

I dropped one of the trigger springs off and then bushed the pin to keep the angles correct this made a great deal of difference, didnt help travel but lightend it a decent amount. some times some people have light strikes afterwards but this can be fixed by tweeking the remaining spring (very technical terms used here:D )
I also polished the sears etc, not hard if you do a small amount at a time.

good luck and keep us posted

Cheers
JB

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main goal here is adjustability. We have some adopted foster kids in the family and they have finally come to the age to be courious about firearms and it's fallen on me to give instruction as far as family involvement goes. Not sure I would be comfortable with them around something with a 2.5lb or so trigger. On the other hand that 2.5lb trigger would be oh so nice when I am shooting alone.
I think they should drive the pinto before they get ahold of the lincoln, then maybe they'll appriecate it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.