Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to pick up a Ruger 77/22 with a 17hmr Volquartsen barrel installed and the factory .22 mag heavy barrel ,I was just wondering how much of a pain is it to take the 17hmr off and put the .22 mag back on and visa vera if i wanted to shoot the .22mag a bit as well sometimes or when 17hmr is hard to find :( ?? I know putting a clark barrel on the 10/22 in .22lr took a mallet so not sure if it's really a practicle or good idea to change back and forth .
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I would say it is pretty easy. From what i can tell it is the screws to remove the stock, then two allen type screws that hold the barrel to the action. I would call it about a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds right

Individual guns will vary, I suppose, but I converted the laminated wood stock SS 77/22M (VBZM I think) using a Green Mountain fluted barrel. Remove the action from the stock, loosen 2 hex screws to release the barrel and replace. GM provided a couple of spacer washers that weren't needed with mine. Since the .17 barrel is in place, barrel channel shouldn't be a problem. I'd guess you'd have to sight in again. Pretty easy job, as long as you have the hex wrench.:t

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the imputs my question i guess is i know i needed to pound the Clark barrel in place should be after its in place how easy is it to pull off to swap the barrel's again ?
Dave

·
Registered
57 Posts
How tight

The question I would ask is how tight will the factory barrel be after fitting the Clarke barrel in place. If you had to pound it in place, whaat gave? The barrel extension or the receiver? The factory SS barrel on my action slipped out with very littel force required. The replacement was cooled and slipped into the room temp receiver without external force required. Maybe I got lucky, The rifle was used, so don't know the complete history. Every ting snugged up nicely, and it ain't broke, so I don't intend to fix it, except replace the sear for a better tirgger pull/

·
Registered
57 Posts
Spacer

According to the instructions, they could be used between the receiver and shoulder of the barrel to adjust headspace if needed. My installation didn't require them. If you've ever taken the barrel off a 10/22, it's the same type of connection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.