Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a close look at a Ruger 77/17 in a local dealer's shop. (I had gone to buy.) However, it seemed to have all things against it being accurate - barrel not free floated (it seemed to be a tight fit right along the forend), trigger heavy, bolt - two piece and 'loose' (hopefully it locks up with no play).
Maybe I am wrong ,but could this combination shoot 0.5"/100yd or 1.0"/200yd without being reworked? Has anyone acheived these figures out of the box?
Is this combination of 'features' unusual for a Ruger or was what I saw standard finish?

Regards

Titan :confused:

·
Registered
436 Posts
These "features" are standard Ruger. The trigger is the only one I have found needs help.

With a new 77/17 VBBZ the 5 shot groups were consistently 0.5 to 0.625" after about 100 rounds for break in. 200 yards is farther than I need in a squirrel gun but the math would say it would hold the 1 to 1.125".

What I like the most is it is very consistent and the Hornady (CCI) ammunition provides very few flyers. Maybe one per 50 rounds.

Fix up the trigger to suit yourself and fire away.

Good Shooting......... GD

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gillie Dog and mrmarklin

Thank you for your feedback.

I suppose the light barrel in a .17 would not heat up and throw shots in the way a light barrelled centrfire would do after 5-10 shots?

Would the 77/17 VBBZ be the better option for accuracy? ( I might have to wait some time for this model.)

Regards.

Titan

·
Registered
103 Posts
Titan,

you may find that after 10-15 shots the barrel does heat up and the POI changes. This is easily fixed by floating the barrel with a a brass shim under the front reciever screw(or getting a proper bed and float job done). If the loose two piece bolt annoys you it is easy to grind a new pin to tighten the bolt halves. After doing this I haven't yet found any difference withthe 77/17HMR, however I've heard it reduces flyers on the 77/22. I also installed a VQ target sear and did some minor stoning of the trigger. The rifle shoots much better than I can hold but averages 0.45 inches at 50 meters on 12 time magnification.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dsorongan

Thank you

I went back to have another look at the rifle and enquired about ammunition. The dealer has not yet received his first delivery and has no idea when to expect some. So - I have a 'little' time to consider the purchase.

Titan

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ruger 77/17 stainless, 26” barrel, Bushnell 3X9 glass. Barrel free floated with slight pressure point. Consistent sub .5" groups at 50 yds. 3 out of 5 shots touching. Constant .75” groups at 100 yds. 3 shots touching, 4th’ one real close, and usually a flyer. Couldn’t possibly be me causing the flyer. Definitely need to do a little trigger work.
:t :D :t

·
Registered
436 Posts
With the heavy 24" barrel on the VBBZ I have not seen a measurable POI change after 27 straight rounds (3 magazines).

I always thought longer was better but with a drop in velocity seen after 18 to 21" I do not know.

My only experience is with 24" Ruger barrels, 22 mag and 17 HMR, so I will leave it to others to give us educated advise.

Good Shooting................GD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.