Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had heard good things about the 77/17 so I picked one up in the SS and black laminate. I should have done more digging to discover that most of the good reports were about the standard model. Now I hear the VBBZ's are not accurate. :( Has anyone had a good experience with them out of the box? I am kind of kicking myself because they had a new in box blued 77/17 that had just came in but I thought for just under a 100 more why not go for the heavy barrel laminate because I liked the looks. Are they all piss poor or does it seem like it varies?

Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You don't specifically say how your VBBZ is shooting. Mine shot sub-MOA groups out of the box, even with a trigger in the 6-7 pound range, and no modifications or tweaks whatsoever. I'd say that's pretty good for starters. I have ordered the Volquartsen target sear, which, if the anecdotal reports on this forum are correct, should lower that trigger pull to around 2 pounds. That should make shooting consistent groups pretty simple, and I will float the barrel at that point if it seems to be indicated.
Also, I'm only using an old Weaver V7 2.5 x 7 scope, so shooting into the same hole at 100 yards is stretching the optics. My plans are to have this gun sighted point blank at around 125 yards or so. That means the bullet should be no more than + or - an inch out to around 150 yards. The sub-MOA accuracy means that basically the bullet should land somewhere in a circle of less than 2 inches out to 150 yards, and that takes care of most varmints I plan to shoot at- like crows, squirrels of the ground and arboreal variety, and perhaps the unfortunate feral cat or two. Larger critters would be easier to hit, but I am among those who has difficulty shooting a woodchuck, raccoon, or coyote with a 17 grain bullet, no matter how fast it's moving or how trick its performance. In short, for that biz I got a .223 that is a proven performer.
So- what do you plan on using the .17 HMR for?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I should have noted that I have not had a chance to shot it yet. You have brightened my day a good bit. :) So far I had only seen people talking about rebarreling and the VBBZ not being accurate. I was starting to despair a little before I even went to the range. I know the trigger needs some work and that will be my first order fo business and then maybe getting someone local smith to float and bed it. If mine will shoot 1 moa out of the box I will not even bother with anything other than the trigger job. Oh yeah, the first critter under my scope other than paper will probably be nutria at under 100 yds this spring when I go to Louisiana.

Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I should not have worried until after going to the range but nothing takes the shine of getting a new firearm like hearing about accuracy problems especially a new rifle. :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Do not worry about that rifle. Out of the box mine did five shot groups at 100 yards under 3/4" and most at or under 5/8". Three shot groups cut each other a lot of the time.

Glass is very important as stated above. Do not scrimp and expect good results.

I shoot both 17 HMR and 22 mag in that rifle and both are fine shooters. Tune up the trigger for better results is all I did.

Good Shooting...................GD

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Bushnell Banner 4x12 40 on the rifle right now. It is all I have on hand at the moment. It is a decent scope but I want to put something else on it here soon. Hopefully my fears are unfounded. While I can't wait to go to the range next week I am also nervous.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Keeper

Dont be nervous, that little 17 will out shoot you anyday and most everyone on this site,

I picked up the 77/17 awhile back before the other versions came out and was amazed at the acuracy , I mean amazed at site in I was shooting dime size holes at 50yds, then about 3/4 to 1" at 100. you think that rifle could shooter better groups at 100yds, definatly, I cant well not with the very firm trigger.

Ive taken starelings out to 150yds and magpies out alittle farther, I even took a groundsqurel the other day at 68. at 150yds on the starling I held on its head and hit in the chest, anything father and Ill hold just over the head(been miss judgeing range latly and shooting over)

I had a 4-16x42 sightron milldot on it, but tossed my 2.8-10x44 simmons aetec in its place, because I never turned the sighrton past 10 power and the adjustable objective was driveing me insane.

I dont think theres anything wrong with the bushnell banner untill you find some better glass,
sightrons 3-9 milldots are cool.

good luck with the rifle and have fun at the range

Evan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Keeper

Shot my 77/17 VBBZ W/a Bushnell Banner for the first time today.I averaged 5/8" with more than a few 1/2" groups.Shooting was done from a bench at 50yds.I think this rifle has real potential,
because most three shot groups touched.Operator error had a lot to do with group sizes.I can already see this gun is going to see a lot of use.

·
Registered
11 Posts
tater

I used the rings supplied with the rifle-
The reason I bought the Bushnell is because after the new rifle my budget was exhausted.My plans were to use the scope for a while,then sit it on top of a H&R .243 until I could afford better glass.After mounting the Bushnell and shooting a few sessions I was impressed.It is crisp,clear &
the parallax adjustment works well.So far I've
been very pleased,it looks like it's going to be a good scope for the money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.