Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to rimfire rifles and I am looking for the best bang for my buck. I am concidering either the Remington 597 or the Ruger 10/22. I would maybe like to someday build one of these up, but for now just something to go shoot. Which one is more accurate and more reliable?? I have read about the Remington having magazine problems, and I have also read about people not liking the trigger on the ruger. I don't have any real time shooting rifles, just shotguns. Will someone please give me a good non bias answer?

·
Registered
668 Posts
WELCOME TO RFC!!!

i would go with the ruger hands down. you wrote you might want to build up the rifle after a while...sorry to say the rem 597 has next to no upgrades but the ruger is endless in upgrades. the ruger is extremly reliable too! before making mine an ultimate i put over 1000 rounds thru it with no cleaning and very shot was accurate and the gun functioned without jam, misfires or faluires to eject! these guns are extemly simple in design whicj makes them so very easy to clean once it is needed. you are correct about the trigger...it sucks but can be fixed yourself for 30 dollars (about 2.5 lbs pull) or sent away and fixed for 80 dollars (also about 2 lbs but a much better smoother job). i promise you will not be dissappointed with a 10/22. i know of no one that got a 10/22 and wished they got something else in the 22 catagory!

·
Registered
103 Posts
yup

I have heard real good things about thompson centers entry into auto rimfire rifles. so don't leave them out in the cold. all 3 good american made quality rifles. but I must say if you are expecting to play around with it. there is an endless list of options for a 10/22. if you would like to have an excuss to buy the 10/22 later and just get another to shoot right now. I would probably look at one of the other 2. that way years from now you will have both to compare against each other.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've had two Rem597s and one RRR. Here is what I have learned:

Rem597:
+accurate out of the box
+twin guide rails
+built in bolt buffer
+last round hold open
+two take down screws
+$99 when on sale at Gander Mountain
-least fun guns I've ever owned, way too many FTF and FTE

Ruger RRR:
+accurate out of the box
+excellent trigger ("T" and RRR)
+cycles reliably
+endless upgrade opportunities
-no bolt buffer
-no last round hold open
-crude single guide rail
-single take down screw
-receiver hump
-barrel droop
-expensive

·
Registered
587 Posts
Inexpensive

When skeeter tells you inexpensive, that means the initial rifle purchase. Then the habit begins, soon to be an addiction! Just look at the photo threads at the top of the home page. Set the slide show in motion and sit back for a minute or two. Never had so much fun with a firearm ! Workin on #2 right now!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I got a 10/22, my buddy got a 597. They were about the same price and just as accurate and reliable as each other. A couple jams in both but not many. I then put a bull barrel and hogue stock on my 10/22. Game over. Me-1, buddy-0. :D Since they were just as accurate, even if I were going to keep the rifle stock I'd still go with the Ruger.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Skeeter27Red hit the nail right on the head. A VERY apt way to look at it. The small block chevy of the rifle world. Love it. The problems with the Remington will weigh it down no matter what, but replace a hammer on the Ruger to fix the trigger pull, and it's all downhill from there. You will come to love the magazine, which is flush with the bottom of the stock, and the best ever conceived. I'm currently looking for a Deluxe Sporter model, to sit alongside my 10/22Magnum, while waiting for my son to come and get his Remington out of my gunsafe. ;-)
eljay

·
Registered
68 Posts
eljay said:
Skeeter27Red hit the nail right on the head. A VERY apt way to look at it. The small block chevy of the rifle world. Love it. The problems with the Remington will weigh it down no matter what, but replace a hammer on the Ruger to fix the trigger pull, and it's all downhill from there. You will come to love the magazine, which is flush with the bottom of the stock, and the best ever conceived. I'm currently looking for a Deluxe Sporter model, to sit alongside my 10/22Magnum, while waiting for my son to come and get his Remington out of my gunsafe. ;-)
eljay
You ruined a perfectly good safe with that 597 in it. Better send it to me for disposal. ;)

·
Registered
636 Posts
They're both great rifles. The Remington has a much nicer fit/finsh/feel to it stock out of the box. The Ruger just feels cheep and overpriced. When you decide on spending some $$$ and upgrading, the Ruger wins hands down.

So depends if you want a stock rifle or a modified one. If you're NEVER going to upgrade anything more than to a scope, the Remington 597 wins easily.

Never say never. lol

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have owned a few 10/22 and still have one and it is my favorite gun to shoot. I also have a 597 and it is a great rifle to shoot too. I never had any ftf or fte problems with my 597. If you want a gun that has lots of upgrades the 10/22 is the way to go, if you want a fun gun out of the box either of these two are good choices. Im not going to give a bad review of one over the other because they are both good, and both have their faults. The best thing to do is figure out what you intend to use it for, give both a good look over and buy what feels right.

·
Registered
277 Posts
That Remington in my safe

Shotgun said:
You ruined a perfectly good safe with that 597 in it. Better send it to me for disposal. ;)
Actually, that Remington is a 552 (I think) Speedmaster, not the 597. I took it in to find out what was wrong with it...it was filthy(he had traded for it). I've been inside a lot of rifles, including 10/22s, and this was the first Remington I'd been in. I was not impressed. The insides of that rifle make the 10/22 insides look very, very good. Just in my opinion, of course.
eljay

·
Registered
164 Posts
cmr, do you have the newest mags. I had FTF's and FTE's big time until I bought the newest mags and put a VQ extractor in. Now, I never have any problems. BTW, I think that the 597 is like the 10/22 when it first came out. They had their fair share of problems. Also, more and more companies are starting to make aftermarket parts for this gun. The ones that I know of are Jarvis, Volquartsen, Boyds, and Jard. I think that this gun just needs some time and some better quality control at Remington and it could very well turn into the 10/22's worst nightmare. Thats just my $0.02.
-Wichy

·
Registered
778 Posts
I own several Remington products, that will always have a welcome place in my gun safe but the Remington 597 is a serious POS!!! I feel bad for people who get sucked in to buying one based on there relative good looks when compared to a 10/22 (I know I did). For a company with such a history in are favorite pastime Remington should be ashamed of letting this product line carry their name. Stdraime if you want to spend the majority of your range time messing with your equipment than I suggest buying one of these rifles and let the headache begin. I am not saying go buy a ruger I’ am saying buy anything but a Remington 597.

Ruger Rob

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.