Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm looking for a new .22 and I'm pretty sure I want a takedown so I've narrowed it to either the new 10 22 TD or the Browning SA-22. I wondered if any of you had any experience to compare these two models.

Thanks,
j-rod

· Premium Member
587 Posts
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3960485#post3960485

side by side anyway...I will say one thing about the grade 1, Dont get me wrong I LOVE rugers but side by side you can really see the beauty and simple yet profound design that is the Browning Grade 1. IMHO It does not matter what you get first you should own both. I love both......I'm for diversity!!:bthumb:

· Registered
215 Posts
I own the big 3 (IMO) most desireable .22 rifles. An older 10-22, a Belgian SA-22, and an older Marlin 39A. Now variations on that theme are just as desireable, but more expensive, for the other versions of these rifles. If money is the question, than the Ruger is the answer. Otherwise if you can scrape up the money and are into .22's alot, maybe just don't limit your choices to one rifle. Do you think you will finally able to afford some of these when you are 90 years old, and will be able to enjoy them then? Any other .22 rifles I have are probably expendable, at this point. Not that I am planning to dump them.

· Registered
29 Posts
The Brownings are jewels, especially the old made in Belgium pieces, but they are like a kids gun, the length of pull is just way too short for me. I have owned two of them over the years, and they just failed to satisfy me in the long run.

The new Ruger just fits so well, it is very comfortable, and a much better price point.

Ruger rep told my LGS owner that the bag adds $100 to the price. They will sell just the bag for 100 bucks, so the price for "Just" the gun is very low.

The bag is ok, but I am not gonna get all gushy over it. I would have rather saved $100 and fended for myself as for having a means to transport it.

· Registered
927 Posts
I have both. For the price of the Browning you can buy a 10/22 and some goodies to go with it. The 10/22 feeds from removable magizines and several can be kept in your pocket. The Browning feeds from a slow to load tube. The Browning is a much nicer rifle out of the box. The fit and finish on them is still very good. The trigger is far superior to the Ruger. For shooting at moving targets and quick handling the Browning takes the top honors here too. If I had to pick it would be the Browning. If the budget is tight and you want a scope or other accessories get the Ruger. Do a trigger job (don't buy a trigger group) for about thirty bucks and go to town. If you can only have one 22 ( ihave trouble even typing such a statement) it should be a nice one. The 10/22 can be made into just about anything. The Browning is great straight out of the box.

· Registered
215 Posts
Browning like a kids gun?! I just put my stock 10-22 on top of my Browning, and they appear to be basically identical in length of pull. Maybe the stock drop is not the same. The Browing is slimmer and trimmer, maybe that deceived you. That is a quality that makes it so admired as a field gun. I have owned a 10-22 of some sort since the early 80's and like them alot. But the Browning is a different animal, a different deal. One is a Corvette, one is a Porshe? maybe. The Browning was around many decades before the Ruger and is classic. But the Ruger is a modern classic. I can't afford two cars but I can afford two iconic .22 self loaders and can enjoy them both. BTW, Brian Pierce has an article about the Browning in the May issue of Rifle magazine. But I better quit now before they move this to the Browning forum!

· Registered
29 Posts
Browning like a kids gun?! I just put my stock 10-22 on top of my Browning, and they appear to be basically identical in length of pull. Maybe the stock drop is not the same. The Browing is slimmer and trimmer, maybe that deceived you.
You nailed it. That is what I actually meant to say. The Browning is too small for my 6'5" and 255 lb body.

I owned two of them, and if they fit, I would still have them. The only reason I got a second one, was because a gentleman buggered his up, and sold it to me for $75. I replaced a few parts on it, and installed a scope mount and inexpensive scope, and gifted it to a good friends Grandson.

· Registered
7,721 Posts
What is the goal?

I love the little Browning. I have a belgian and a miroku. The jap model is a .22 short. Bought a Japanese L/R for my 6'8" left handed son and he's got no problem shooting it. I also own way too many 10/22's including an HM2 conversion. For ease of carry and class in the squirrel woods I like the Browning a lot. It's not as accurate as my Kidd bbl'd and triggered 10/22 but I just don't seem to miss much with it.

· Premium Member
30,610 Posts
I love the little Browning. I have a belgian and a miroku. The jap model is a .22 short. Bought a Japanese L/R for my 6'8" left handed son and he's got no problem shooting it. I also own way too many 10/22's including an HM2 conversion. For ease of carry and class in the squirrel woods I like the Browning a lot. It's not as accurate as my Kidd bbl'd and triggered 10/22 but I just don't seem to miss much with it.
That is a great looking rifle. The Browning ATD, SA22 is one of the best 22 field rifles ever made.

· Registered
71 Posts
The Browning is very svelte. I actually had a Belgium with a wheel sight years ago, but it didn't make it out of the divorce.

The real disadvantage I see with the Browning is the interrupted threads. Sure you can adjust the spacer ring to take up the slop, but if you get in a hurry putting it together you stand the risk of buggering up the threads.

Ruger avoids that by having a lug milled into the barrel itself that locks into a block on the receiver.

Still, I will own another Browning Auto 22 someday. :bthumb:

· Registered
2,746 Posts
I have a Jap Browning SA-22 and it really is a cool rifle...I like how the shells eject from the bottom of the receiver and the quality of the components and great wood...However, the browning has only been taken down a few times, it has more intricate parts compared to the 10/22 and there's really no "upgrades" anywhere near a 10/22 (not that it really needs any)...I only shoot it a couple times a year because it's so purdy, I don't want to scratch it...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.