Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Ruger’s Gunsite Scout Rifle

756 Views 13 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Old Dutch
Hi,

If interested, the following article series takes a look at Ruger's Gunsite Scout Rifle...

http://www.realguns.com/articles/387.htm
http://www.realguns.com/articles/390.htm

Mark
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,313 Posts
Ruger has been bringing out some interesting products.

I don't tend to think of Ruger when I think of bolt action rifles, but thats a pretty versatile layout. I bet there are a lot of people looking for a bolt gun with a detachable 5 round or more magazine.

It wouldn't take much to be able to shoot it across the course at a highpower match.

They sell a lot of mini'14's mini'30's it seems to be of that ilk.

Since they're getting weird, I wish they'd come out with a 45 acp version.

· Registered
683 Posts
i would get one, but it uses Ruger mags. I wish they could have worked the bugs out of FAL/M1A mags.
I'm with you. Funny how magazines have become the new movie theater popcorn. :eek: Some magazines you can get for under $20, and then there's others where they want double, triple, or even 4X that amount. Ruger wants $40 - for a plastic molded magazine - no matter how many rounds it holds while they want $70 for a steel one - even if it only holds 3 rounds! This is a major reason why I don't buy Ruger rifles. :rolleyes:

· Registered
276 Posts
I've had one for about a year now. Because of eye problems I find I don't shoot well with a forward mounted scope. I ended up putting an XS sight systems full rail and a 1-4 Millet DMS scope over the action. It's been a great hog and deer rifle.

Please continue to not buy Ruger rifles, I want to get 2 more Scout Rifles for my wife and son.

Ron M.

· Registered
683 Posts
Please continue to not buy Ruger rifles, I want to get 2 more Scout Rifles for my wife and son.
You may have to wait a bit. I was talking to a dealer this past weekend and he said that Ruger production lines have gotten so far behind they won't even accept future orders anymore. If that is really the case, you're welcome to any rifles being made because in my mind, if they're way behind that's when you really risk QC slipping as they slap them together to get them out the door. ;)

· Registered
1,356 Posts
What I like about scout rifles including the Ruger:
- They can look pretty cool.

What I don't like about scout rifles including the Ruger:
- the price
- in these days of semi-autos, designing a bolt gun and marketing it as a fighting gun.
- forward mounted scopes.

While some folk will try to convince you that Cooper intended and touted the Scout as an improved rifle platform intended for sporting and utility roles, not tactical, IT'S 100% BUNK. The truth is that for sporting/utility roles the Scout offers ZERO benefits over the millions of guns in handfuls of platforms that were and are available. So why did he/they design it? Look at how Gunsite runs them at their facility and look at the features they added to differentiate it from other manual operated carbines. Stripper feed (original design, now add detachable box mags), more capacity, flash hider, battle type aperture sights, the name, etc etc. All added features were for tactical reasons. Despite what the "official company line" says, Cooper wanted to design the ultimate bolt action "weapon" (as opposed to tool) and ya know what? He might of done it. But in today's world any bolt action "weapon" rates a distant 2nd place to a semi auto "weapon". And then they want you to pay more coin for it? Heck no. For the record the Scout design is also a rip off and far from original. Nothing more than an modern Enfield Jungle Carbine with a scope added.

Give me a standard bolt action sporter OR give me a semi-auto fighting rifle. Bolt action fighting rifle? Went by the wayside after WWII.

CB

· Registered
1,029 Posts
I wouldn't mind a Scout Rifle in lever action, but bolt action seems too slow. I thought a practical use for these rifles was for hunting guides on dangerous game hunts. Say your paying customer misses their shot at that charging lion, you need a quick shot to save everyones a55. So you pull up your short carbine length powerhouse, maybe .45-70, and fire off a quick shot without taking your eyes off the charging target (the forward mounted scope, probably 1X power, allows that). Then, in case you need a SECOND shot to take down the charging beast, a lever action will whoop that out much faster than a bolt action ever could.

To me "Scout Rifle" and "Guide Gun" are somewhat similar concepts. At least in my mind.

· Registered
2,003 Posts
It is definitely different and not for everyone. I see it as a "niche" rifle.

Give Ruger credit for innovation. I have a SR 1911 on order despite so many manufacturers. IMO, Ruger has always thought outside the box. I have enjoyed all of the Ruger products I own.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.