Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Rough Bore on Compact .22?

18408 Views 116 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  M1Riflenut
I shot my M&P Compact .22 for the first time yesterday. I fired 100 rounds of Winchester 37 grain copper plated.The target was a standard 50ft. target that I ran out to 15 yards. The lighting at this indoor range is typically only fair, but I was able to keep most of my shots in the scoring rings. There was no key-holing shots on the paper.

Afterwards, while inspecting the gun I noticed what seemed to be an unusual amount of debris at the muzzle. A look in the bore showed what appeared to be excessive dirt and debris for having shot just 100 rounds.

After many passes with a bore brush, patches and different solvents, the bore still appeared to be fouled. Using a strong bore light I could see a series of uniform lines/marks perpendicular in the groves of the barrel. The lands looked to be rough also. These lines/marks and roughness are visible through the length of the bore.

I contacted S&W and the CS rep explained that this was the result of the EDM broaching process and the lines/marks were normal.

Has anyone else noticed this? I've owned my for share of firearms and I can't recall a bore on a new gun looking as rough as this does.
61 - 80 of 117 Posts
Received an e-mail that S&W wants the pistol back again. Hmmmm...I guess that means they think they have better barrels than the two I have had. M1911
Well that's sort of good news. I hope they put a good barrel in it. It will be the first one that we would have confirmation that it's truly good. At this point I don't trust them hopefully they aren't wasting more of your time. Of course keep us up to date.
It's off and flying back to Smith. Wonder what I will get this time? M1911
re. rough bore

It's the original poster here. I just sent my Compact back to S&W yesterday. Do you think S&W is seeing the error of their ways? Might they actually realize they are putting out an unacceptable product and we the consumers are not happy with it? I hope so, but if I get another barrel like the original then I guess I'll resort to taking it to a gunsmith to get it done right.
I'm not sure what about it a gunsmith could sort it. I'm a bit worried that the method of rifling being used does not work as it should. I have yet to see a good barrel on a compact. Not that I've seen many bad ones but still not a properly machined one. I tried to make sure they didn't ask for mine back if they did not have better barrels. They still wanted it so it is off again on their dime. Guess we will see. M1911
Rough bore date of purchase?

I bought my M&P 22 compact 12/19/15. I do not know the date of manufacture, but the bore looks good and the accuracy is great. Is this a new problem? Can someone give purchase dates of the rough bore pistols?
Dates can sometimes be a bit tricky...we could list serial numbers. How about some really close up photos of the bore Mukeman. I need a reason to at least hope I will get a good barrel. Mine is HHJ7045 IIRC. I purchased it a couple of month ago but I have no idea when it was manufactured....the box and spent case are on the road back up north.

Taking good photos of the bore is a bit tricky. :) I will add that a casual look down the bore shows it to be shiny and it looks good.....until you take a very close look. M1911
Sorry, 1917-1911M I am not able to take a photo and will not post a serial number. I took your advice to look closer. I just looked down mine with a bright light and a magnifying glass. Trust me it looks good! Am I the only one that got a good barrel? If someone else has a good barrel please post. Best of luck. I hope you get a good one.
It's the original poster here. I just sent my Compact back to S&W yesterday. Do you think S&W is seeing the error of their ways? Might they actually realize they are putting out an unacceptable product and we the consumers are not happy with it? I hope so, but if I get another barrel like the original then I guess I'll resort to taking it to a gunsmith to get it done right.
Not much a gunsmith can do with it other than lap it, either by hand or fire lap. Please keep us posted as to what S&W does for you and thanks for starting this thread!
Those are good pictures Rustynail. Looks the same as all the barrels I've looked at. I can only assume the annular rings are caused by the original boring and the electrical metal removal process leaves rough grooves. M1911
Those are good pictures Rustynail. Looks the same as all the barrels I've looked at. I can only assume the annular rings are caused by the original boring and the electrical metal removal process leaves rough grooves. M1911
Thanks, these are the pics I sent to S&W after you posted they wanted your barrel back. I asked them if it looked right to them. No direct answer. They said I could send it in for a re-evaluation. I could not pin them down to a clear and concise replacement. So instead of risking a worse one I am just waiting your results.
Barrel nut wrench.

I ended up order one of these off EBay. Good quality and not very expensive. I did have to file it down some but it didn't take long with a flat file from harbor freight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201201739600
You didn't get one of the wrenches with the pistol? Anytime a thin wrench is needed most bicycle shops have a variety of options. Some have five or six sizes made into one wrench. Oh, and Smith should have sent you one with one phone call. M1911
You didn't get one of the wrenches with the pistol? Anytime a thin wrench is needed most bicycle shops have a variety of options. Some have five or six sizes made into one wrench. Oh, and Smith should have sent you one with one phone call. M1911
I didn't get a wrench with mine. Bought it new last summer. When I bought a Silencerco adapter for my can, it came with a wrench. But then I mangled the wrench trying to get the muzzle cap off!

Reckon I should call S&W, maybe they'll be kind and send me a wrench.
That may explain it. I ordered a pistol with the thread adapter and it came with a wrench. Perhaps the pistol without the thread adapter don't come with a wrench.....but they certainly should. Mine is a substantial, although inexpensive wrench....certainly not on the level of Craftsman or other wrenches. My thread adapter was on very, very tight. I had to heat it to remove. Propane torch. Not red hot or anything like that. CMichael placed his in the freezer for 30 min and reported that cooling made removal easy. M1911
Rustynail, did you recrown your muzzle? Mine don't look like that. I think I will call Smith today and try to discuss this with the whoever might be working on the pistol. M1911
Rustynail, did you recrown your muzzle? Mine don't look like that. I think I will call Smith today and try to discuss this with the whoever might be working on the pistol. M1911
Yes I did.

Barrel Wrench
The bike shops here only had 13mm at the smallest. They all said they could order one. One said you should go to Sportsman's Warehouse, I just chuckled.
More poor rifling

Not a rimfire but interesting to note. Was cleaning a Ruger 9mm I have tonight, a model LC9s. Noticed when looking down the bore it is similar to the MP22C rifling. Not as bad but the circular machining marks are present on the lands. Overall it's not a very decent looking rifling job. This one has about 500 rds through it and it shoots ok but I never shot it past 15 yds. Was cleaning it up because I may be putting it on consignment at a LGS. Ruger must be using the same rifling method as S&W does on the MP22C.

See less See more
Update on my pistol. It is at the range having the third barrel tested. Broached method of rifling according to the rep I spoke with. I told him I had looked at 12 of these pistols and hadn't seen a good barrel yet. Will be curious to see what I get this next time.. M1911
Update on my pistol. It is at the range having the third barrel tested. Broached method of rifling according to the rep I spoke with. I told him I had looked at 12 of these pistols and hadn't seen a good barrel yet. Will be curious to see what I get this next time.. M1911
Makes ya wonder why they refuse to admit they have a problem and sold junk.
61 - 80 of 117 Posts