Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I friend of mine just got a Rossi 22 LR pump gallery gun, not really sure how long range accurate it is, but it is sure fun for plinking. It a lot lighter and shorter that my Henry pump.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rossi Gallery Special .22

I have owned a Gallery pump .22 for 46 years. I have enjoyed the little rifle more than most of my other guns. It is a pleasure to shoot. I bought it in 1975 and I have had no problems with it even after thousands of rounds of plinking.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
My brother got a Rossi pump back in the mid 70's. He was about 12 or so. We came in from prairie dog hunting one day and my dad said are your guns empty? I had my action open on my Rem. 512. My brother didn't have his action open. He opened the action and promptly closed it and had his finger on the trigger. POW!
Needless to say he was grounded. And we had a hole in the wall.

I later bought a Rossi 22 Gallery model and loved it. It was a well made rifle. I sold it later because I couldn't stand having a gun made in Brazil and not the USA. That was the 70's.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
My Rossi M62SAC is a wonderful rifle - I am wondering if the receiver cracking posted above are about the Henry pumps also mentioned above?

I have attempted to read every Rossi thread since I joined RFC ~10 years ago, and I've also never heard of this relating to the Rossi rimfires.
I don't frequent the Henry subforum though, so I am little confused as well. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I broke down and bought one, it’s stiff and a little bit bulky, my friend says he was like that out of the box, but it smooths out with use. I installed a Skinner peep sight on it. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
10,069 Posts
The cracking was in reference to the new Rossi Pump guns, not the old ones that were copies of the Winchester, nor about the Henry pumps.

Im saving mine , for the day they give me my new eyes. A Rossi in stainless, and a winchester in farm finish:D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Rossi Gallery .22

I picked mine up today, the model with the black polymer furniture and fiber optic sights. The shop I ordered it thru also has a range so I went straight to the lanes and started shooting it right out of the box, no lube or 'manual break in'.

Ran 50 rounds of AR Tactical and 50 CCI std. velocity. Only shot out to 15 yards but accuracy seems to be as good as my Ruger American.

Action loosened up with use and a cleaning & lube also helped. The hammer seems to need a lot of force to cock, just cycling the slide with the hammer already cocked was pretty easy. Trigger is pretty heavy too but seems to have a decent & predictable break.

Fiber optic sights are great, easy to use & adjust. All plastic, so we'll see how they hold up.

Receiver finish is just black paint & Phillips screws, so if you want a pretty rifle, buy a Henry. But a Henry pump today is about twice what I paid for mine ($270).

·
Registered
694 Posts
I had a Rossi pump in the 1970s and it worked fine although you had to slam the slide handle forward to make sure the breech block locked. Probably just a quirk on that particular gun. Don't jeer but I sold it and replaced it with Winchester 62, built in 1933.

Jpickar had a good point on Rossi safety. The Rossis and the Winchesters had a carrier that totally enclosed the cartridge. A cartridge on the carrier could be hard to see particularly if it was a short with a plain lead bullet. You needed to work the action several times to make sure you got all the ammunition out.

I've seen two friends lay Winchesters on the bench with a round in them and thinking they were empty.

I even did it myself. Opened the action, didn't see a short on the carrier, closed the action and chambered a round, took the rifle apart, put it in a case and there it sat for two weeks with a round in the chamber. The next time I used it I assembled the gun and then cycled the action once as was my custom. Very surprised when a live round ejected.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts