Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to make a small horizontal adjustment to the sights on my Golden Boy. Right now I'm always about 2 inches to the side at 25 yards. The manual says to tap it into place with a wood/plastic dowel. I tried once with a softwood dowel, didn't work at all--all I did was crush the dowel. I've heard some people recommend a brass punch. I'm afraid of either damaging the finish, or over-correcting and never being able to get it close again. Would an oak dowel do the trick? Oh, us newbies and our many problems! :D

Thanks in advance!

Keith

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Mine wouldn't move til I hit it higher up on the peice that leads to the sight.Just slightly back and above the dovetail. I used a brass punch and no damage ocurred. I think it is because there is so much down pressure on the sight that it won't move when hit in the dovetail.

·
Registered
384 Posts
If you have trouble finding a brass drift or punch, you can buy a 1/4 X 3 brass bolt, cut the head off of it, file the sharp edges off of the tops of the screw thread and use that to move the sight. You might find it helpfull to draw a line down the center of a piece of masking tape and then putting that on top of the barrell with the line lined up with the center of the sight. That will show you how much you have moved the sight. It won't take much. I would probably not exceed a sixteenth of an inch before trying it out. You will want to move the sight in the direction that you want to move the point of impact.

My GB sight was kind of difficult to get moving the first time. I used all types of hardwood dowels including Osage Orange with no luck. They just split. Hold the brass drift up against the dovetail slug and hit it using a hammer or a mallet. Just make sure that the drift is not against the barrel.

Floyd

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.