Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am playing around with my first Romanian trainer rifle. Let me tell you it won't be my last. IF I find another one or two I'll definitely pick them up. My local supply seems to have dried up at least for now. I squirrel hunt with feist dogs and had been wanting one I could modify to what I wanted without being fearful of wrecking a "good" gun. Well I've found out these are good guns with just a bit of work.

Here's what I've done so far. Stripped the stock and finished it with tongue oil. May put something more on it for durability. I've also shortened the barrel to 18.5 inches. Drilled and tapped for scope rings and mounted a 2X8X32 Tasco world class scope on it. That took some doing.:) I've also done some filing on the trigger surfaces but it still needs a bit more tweaking.

Now here's my problem. I've found that to eject the spent casing I have to work the bolt fairly hard. The problem is that sometimes when I work it this hard the bolt comes right out of the reciever. Any suggestions?

Mike

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've cleaned it twice with carb cleaner. I don't know if this makes a difference but I've only noticed it after firing. That is it doesn't do it when you just cycle the action with an empty gun. Actually the first thing I thought of was it needed more cleaning but that didn't seem to help.

Mike

·
Registered
270 Posts
Same problem I had

I put valve grinding compound on the firing pin...all of it. I put it in the bolt and slid it back and forth.

I did this until it slid smoothly (without any compound on it).

Now....firing pin works great.

KillJoy

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My M69 will only eject the rounds with the magazine in place - I have assumed that the magazine acts as the ejector? I have problems getting it to feed from the magazine, so I usually shoot it "single-shot" fashion with the mag out - the shells just drop out the bottom. I actually rather like this setup. The brass ends up in a nice neat pile, and I tend to shoot slowly anyway. Love those tight groups! :cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put a post up awhile about my 'Romanian tweaks' and I had to do some work to get my Romanian 100%, many of the problems I've seen come up I covered.

My bolt came out of the reciever too...it had a loose fit in the reciever. I went back to GM and traded bolts, did a little fitting, and now its much much tighter and the bolt stays in place and ejects as it should. This gun is sweet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello- Great little rifles aren't they!
The bolt problems you describe are one of the fairly common ones to these rifles. First be sure you have cleaned the firing pin and whole bolt thoroughly! Brake cleaner hasproven helpful. The firing pin MUST be loose in the bolt...to the point that it rattles when the bolt is shaken. You may even have to remove and lap it a few times on a fine sharpening stone to remove any burrs etc. The bolt release on the left sideof the receiver may have some wear and not be engaging the firing pin/ejector properly. This sounds more like what you describe. You may have to remove this also and stone or adjust it further for it to properly engage. Try NOT to snap back on the bolt too hard or often...this is what breaks the firin pin. Once you get your rifle functioning properly you'll come to LOVE shooting it! I don't mean to push but in your case may I recommend the manual below. It will show you the parts and procedures to help you with this rifle.
Good luck ad let us know what happens.
pl

http://www.arnoldline.com/Paul/RomanianM69.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.