Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old 9422m purchased early 70's the first year they were out. Wonderful rifle, and I've had it since I was 10 years old. Lotta memories, but also a lot of hard miles on that rifle, as I used it constantly as a kid and young adult. It has seen better days. A lot of blueing is gone, and there is a bit of pitting where it was somewhat neglected while I left on a 3 year tour to Germany.

It is time to bring it out of retirement and spruce it up a bit. I'm planning on having a Roguard finish applied. Has anyone had this done, and how did you like it. My father used to work them, and wanted to put that finish on this rifle a few times, but never got around to it.

I already ordered the take down screw and barrel band screws to be refinished as well to replace the buggered up screws on the rifle.

I'm also planning on putting either a Leupold 2.5 or a 4x on the rifle. I once had a scope on it with just tip off mounts, but am wondering if I might be better served with a dovetail to weaver adapter, but do not know how this outfit would fit so the scope did not sit too high. Any advice on putting scopes on 94/22's?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was able to find some time and answer my own question I guess on the scope mounting, finding Weaver's TO-10 base and a couple options from BKL.

My concern is with the Weaver, and the set screws. I'd hate to spend $200 on a new finish just to have the set screws mar it up. Is this the case, or if care is taken will the set screws not mar the finish? Once on I don't expect I'll ever take the scope off, but still, marring a new finish does not appeal to me.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My boy had one of the ones like you have, but didn't keep it, as he should have. I recently purchased one of the "traditional tribute" models, as I wanted to own one while I could. I put a 4X Leupold scope on it to fill in for my nightly hunter while my 10/22Magnum was back for upgrade. As soon as the 10/22 came back, off came the scope. In my opinion, that rifle was just not meant for a scope. I put the "oneraggedhole" aperture sight on the rear, in place of the stock partridge sight, because of my trifocals. It does work great, and saves the rifle's great lines, balance, and so forth. I highly recommend it. But if you're gonna mount a scope, make sure it's a small one with a long eye relief, so that you can keep it up ahead of the hammer. The hammer "extension" is also a bummer, in my opinion. Just my thoughts.
eljay

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
davr said:
I was able to find some time and answer my own question I guess on the scope mounting, finding Weaver's TO-10 base and a couple options from BKL.

My concern is with the Weaver, and the set screws. I'd hate to spend $200 on a new finish just to have the set screws mar it up. Is this the case, or if care is taken will the set screws not mar the finish? Once on I don't expect I'll ever take the scope off, but still, marring a new finish does not appeal to me.
davr, I cut a out a peice of aluminum flashing and slid it under the mount on my two 9422's to keep from marring the finnish with the set screws.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the rifle back and put together. It was a tough thing to do, and I've tormented myself over the decision to have it re-finished ever since I sent it off, but I'm pleased with the results. Besides, in the condition it was in, it just flat wasn't getting used. The condition it was in spoke more of neglect unfortunately than it did of hard but cared for use. Never leave a cherished rifle with a wife for 3 years and expect it will be taken care of!

At any rate, the roguard finish put me off initially as it wasn't what I expected (I expected more of a matte type of glock or sig type finish), but it grew on me quickly and looks good on the rifle.

Refinished the stock with an oil finish.

Mounted a new Leupold 4x rimfire matte finish scope in Burris Zee low rings and a Weaver T-10 rail. Nice set up. Leupold 4x rimfire looks to be a very neat little rimfire scope. Put on my old Williams hammer extension, favored over the new type extension they make. The new one is garbage. Doesn't fit properly, and moves every time the hammer drops no matter how tight the set screw is tightened. So, I used the old flat style extension.

And (as my father is rolling over in his grave) I put on a set of sling swivels, and a plain 1" wide leather sling. Sorry Dad, but it's just not as handy to carry with the scope on!

I now have a very nice bobcat / fox / rabbit rifle which will see a lot of use from now on while I'm out predator calling in the thick stuff. The old man would not look favorably on the scope, and would certainly have a fit over the sling, but he'd be quite happy the old winchester is again out in the AZ woods on hunts! I'm looking forward to breaking it back in this weekend in the same country I hunted with it in 25 years ago!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.