Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Rings for 452 American

913 Views 24 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  gmd1950
Need rings for a 452 American.Mounting a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40AO.Went to my local Cabelas,said they don't carry any for this application.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
376 Posts
The simplest choice, of course. You can make it complicated, Kiss.

Lee :bthumb:
True. The Burris Signature Zees have some unique advantages, but for economy, strength and availability, it's pretty tough to beat the BKL product.

I use the Burris Sig Zees because there is no metal to metal contact between the rings and the scope, the nylon inserts self-align, so there's no need to lap the rings and the inserts give you the ability to maintain the scope in the optical center as much as possible. That and they're nice looking rings.

BKL's and CZ's are more utilitarian, but nice and solid.

Pete

· Premium Member
12,486 Posts
I've been called a "snob" - and worse - for my closely held opinions regarding scope rings, so I thought it time to cllear the air regarding that.

First of all, my opinions are based upon almost fifty years of shooting experience and 45 years as an Engineer.

Second of all, my opinons and advice are offered mainly in an effort to save some people from spending money on something that they are likely to be unhappy with, not for any benefit to me. If y'all choose to ignore my advice, feel free.

1. I believe that Millet "Mangle-Lock" rings are a disaster waiting to happen. By design, they have rear ring windage adjustment; they heavily advertise them as having such. Sounds great. But, think like an Engineer for a second. A scope is a long rigid tube held in place by two short rigid tubes (the rings). If all is in perfect alignment, great. Now, start twisting the scope rear to the side while holding the front in place.
The result, if you atre lucky, is that the internal scope mechanism (think of the tiny clearances inherent in such a mechanism. One click moves the crosshair so the POA changes 1/8" at a hundred yards. Amazing.) binds up a little. Not damaging, but darn annoying when you are trying to hit that little dot at 100 yards. If you have my kind of luck, you just cut a ring mark into the scope ($$) or bent it. I highly recommend Millet rings for BSA scopes, BTW.

Millet enthusiasts will say "BS. Just slightly loosten the front ring while you adjust the rear one." Might work, but who does this? Sorry, doesn't wash.

2. I believe that BKL products are strong as a bridge - and look it. Their function is fine; IMHO they ruin the appearance of a fine rifle since they are so "industrial" in looks. I used to think they were inexpensive, but no more, since - horrors - I just ordered my first set of BKL products in a long time to actually use on one of my rifles. (gmd1950 just collapsed. Get him some oxygen.) I bought a set of BKL risers (of course, in order to mount a set of Burris Signature Zee rings ) for my Wifama WZ78 rifle; on that piece they will "go" perfectly, since the whole rifle is "industrial" in look.

Cheap? Not so much. Ordered directly from BKL they cost me more than the Signature Zees did.

3. I believe that the Burris Signature system is the work of at least one highly intelligent individual. They are all steel, made in the USA, will NOT mark your scope, are self aligning so they do NOT need lapping, and, if you buy the offset insert kit, allow solutions to a lot of scope/rail problems as well as serving as a poor man's sloping rail system. A little spendy, but other than that, what's not to like? If you own a CZ, the wonderful J&P adapters are the way to go. Complicated? I think not.

· Banned
273 Posts
OK,mediums or highs for a 40mm objective?
BkL mediums should work just fine, and they won't harm your scope, either. Thousands in use, that proves my point. I don't use the "ugly Burris Rings" well simply because they are ugly in my opinion. If I had a need, maybe, but I have never had a need and that's that. I have never bought any rings because of "looking good" or "bling factor". Kiss, simple and functional without any hype is all that's needed and of course no plastic inserts, 100% steel or Aluminum.

Lee :eek:man:

· Premium Member
12,486 Posts
ANY steel or aluminum ring without polymer inserts will mark your scope if they aren't lapped. To me - perhaps not to anyone else - that is "harming" the scope. It sure harms my pocketbook. In this case, BKL's are no worse than any other metal-on-metal ring - and certainly much better than Millets.

Tne Burris inserts are not "hype" - they are there because steel or aluminum simply won't do the job - not because the polymer is cheaper.

Burris rings are ugly and BKL's are not? Well, THAT explains a lot. By the way, leave off the last "S" in "K.I.S.S." when you address me. It doesn't apply.

· Banned
273 Posts
ANY steel or aluminum ring without polymer inserts will mark your scope if they aren't lapped. To me - perhaps not to anyone else - that is "harming" the scope. It sure harms my pocketbook. In this case, BKL's are no worse than any other metal-on-metal ring - and certainly much better than Millets.

Tne Burris inserts are not "hype" - they are there because steel or aluminum simply won't do the job - not because the polymer is cheaper.

Burris rings are ugly and BKL's are not? Well, THAT explains a lot. By the way, leave off the last "S" in "K.I.S.S." when you address me. It doesn't apply.
you're absolutely wrong about any other rings marking scopes. Would you like to make that statement directly to the manufacturer, stating their rings damage scopes, unless of course you have lapped them ? Would you also make the statement about aluminum and steel not doing the job. Maybe titanium or unobtanium would work. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

The 'S' does apply or I wouldn't stated it. Kiss wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle Quote "While popular usage translates it as 'Keep it simple, stupid', Johnson translated it as 'Keep it simple stupid', and this reading is still used by many authors.[3] There was no implicit meaning that an engineer was stupid; just the opposite. " Unquote, from the wiki page.

Perhaps you should read the Wiki, all of it to get the true meaning, not your interpreted one.

Lee ?

· Premium Member
12,486 Posts
Read Wikipedia for "facts"? Not likely. ANYONE can contribute to Wikipedia with "information". It is not edited or checked.

I have made that statement directly to ring manufacturers and will again at any time. Why would I hesitate when I believe it to be the truth? Lapping of rings is an established practice. I wouldn't THINK of using a set of "regular" rings without lapping them - unless I had a BSA scope, of course, and that is even less likely..

Aluminum or steel does not - and can not - do the job of the polymer insert in the Burris Signature ring system. This is a fact, not my opinion. By the same token, the polymer would not be able to do the job of the steel ring itself. Simple, if you just stop and think about it instead of daring me to do what I have already done.

· Banned
273 Posts
Read Wikipedia for "facts"? Not likely. ANYONE can contribute to Wikipedia with "information". It is not edited or checked.

I have made that statement directly to ring manufacturers and will again at any time. Why would I hesitate when I believe it to be the truth? Lapping of rings is an established practice. I wouldn't THINK of using a set of "regular" rings without lapping them - unless I had a BSA scope, of course, and that is even less likely..

Aluminum or steel does not - and can not - do the job of the polymer insert in the Burris Signature ring system. This is a fact, not my opinion. By the same token, the polymer would not be able to do the job of the steel ring itself. Simple, if you just stop and think about it instead of daring me to do what I have already done.
So what companies have you brought this so called fact to? Evidently they don't think to highly of your opinions, not the facts, because no other company uses plastics in their scope rings and also I don't see any scope ring companies recommending that I lap before mounting my scope.

O.K if you believe the 'S' implies you're stupid, so be it, it's your opinion only, not mine of course, that's a fact. I've explained it as simple as I can.

Lee

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.