Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Rimfire Silhouette?

1268 33
Any Truth to the rumor I heard about a possible postal or email match involving Rimfire Silhouette targets?

I sure would like to have something like that to go with the email matches! :)
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe something using paper copies of metalic silhouette targets that are cheap to reproduce. We could set them up at different ranges from around 40 to 100 yards or so?

And we could do it standing so the guys with the $1000 bench rifles and $800 bench rests don't have such an advantage.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I've Tried shooting something like this

There was an offhand match using silhouette animals printed out 20 to a sheet of 8.5x11" printer paper and shot at 50feet.
It was a BUST = many attempted, but few participated by mailing in targets..... Those lil critters were just too TINY to even see clearly, let alone hit even at 50feet. I tried with iron sights and found I was shooting at "center of FUZZBALL" as an aiming point... scopes were nearly as bad = too big magnification, the little animals turned into moving targets:rolleyes: 4X seemed to be about the best comprmise.
A hair trigger would be a plus factor too... I missed more shots due to jumpy letoff and long lock time than I want to remember.

I will look with great intrest as to how this forum sets up a match.
Should be amusing to see the targets... and the rules;)

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Folks, please see the above post.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
667 Posts
Sounds good on, ahem, "paper", but if it doesn't go clang and fall over then it's still paper punching no matter what the shape of the printed target. And having to stand up on your own hind legs will not level the playing field, it will eliminate the bench guns.

Gordon Gauge

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think the idea's kind of cool. I probably won't participate, since I'm completely ensnared in bench shooting, but if it helps get new shooters into competitive shooting, I'm all for it.

After second thought, I might participate. We'll see. Go for it guys.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Surely, if you have a $1000 bolt gun...

-you must have other .22's as well that you don't need a bench just to hold up? Dig them out of the back of the safe and put 'em to use! It might eliminate the bench guns, doesn't have to eliminate the bench gun shooters.

I have a set of the targets printed out. The Ram that is shoot at 100 yards is almost 6 1/2 inches long by 2 1/2 inches tall! If you can hit a squirel in the head at 100 yards you ought to be able to hit this target. Course you got to hit it 10 times. In the Black. Sounds like fun to me. The smallest target is the chicken shot at 44 yards. It has a "sweet spot" that is about an inch in diameter. There is a little lee-way on that inch if you vary side to side. Again, big enough to hit. Small enough to be challenging at 44 yards standing for 10 shots with a time limit.

Ziplock, That match sounds like they were using the air gun targets. In that case the chickens should have been at about 10-12 feet. I don't think the rams get set past 25 feet? Get the new targets from Obx22 and see for your self. You could put a couple of chickens or pigs on a peice of 8 1/2 x 11 but not 20. The turkey is iffy for even two, and no way with the Ram. BTW there is also a set of Pistol Silhouette targets for this match that are slightly bigger than the rifle targets. The Ram FILLS UP a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. Got a Mark II or a Buckmark with a long barrel? Here is your chance!

Note* when I just printed off the targets from my jpg viewer they printed small. I inserted them into a MS Word document and set the Size to 347% (horizontal and vertical), this caused them to print out correctly on my laser printer (Lexmark). There is a box on the target sheet that should print out to be 2 inches wide so you can tell when you have them correct. (very nice feature! an Antlurz touch?)

I too would like to have metal targets to shoot at but untill I can afford 10 of each at the right size, this will work.

A Big THANKS to Obx22 for thinking this up and doing all the leg work. I have my targets and look forward to shooting it. (Just as soon as the temperature gets back above freezing and I get my Turner Stock finished.)

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
Mac...

Have you tried printing them the way I suggested in the post I added to OBX22's sticky on the community forum?

I can't see why it won't work out right done that way, but maybe I'm missing something.

If you haven't, would you try it that way?

We need to get a foolproof method figured out that anyone can make sense of and can use.

Ron

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I got the targets in an email from Obx22. Here at work, we use Lotus Notes for email and when I viewed the attachments and printed them out, they opened in the Lotus notes graphic viewer and printed small. Even when I set it to original size and landscape with no margins. When I pasted them into word they showed as 100% size but were really small?

I detached the graphics to my hard drive and went in through explorer and just clicked on the jpg file. (Windows NT) Windows opened the jpg using Internet Explorer. I changed the printer settings to landscape and set the margins as low as posible. (won't stay at zero) and it printed the right size. I put my response here so everyone can see it. Might want to get Obx22 to add it to the instructions? Or maybe it's just the way Lotus notes screws with everything?

·
Registered
667 Posts
BigMac, you go buy a thousand dollar bench gun and then tell me you surely have enough left for a offhand gun. ;) Well, actually I do have one, but don't tell the benchrest bunch.

Hey, if you shoot the chicken in the foot, does that count as much as a head shot?

For the folks that don't have a 110 yard outdoor range, could the targets be reduced 50% to shoot at 55 yards?

I think the rules against shooting jackets, palm rests, etc. is a good idea. Eliminates the equipment race. Heard of one offhand match that doesn't allow the support elbow to touch the body either, which evens the playing field for different body types (there was this real fat guy that had a portable bench just above his beltline :D ).

Gordon Gauge

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gordon Gauge said:
BigMac, you go buy a thousand dollar bench gun and then tell me you surely have enough left for a offhand gun. ;)

(there was this real fat guy that had a portable bench just above his beltline :D ).
Hahahahaha, Good point about the $1000 gun. Fact is, if I spent that much on rifle (all at once) and the missus caught me. I wouldn't be doing any shooting for a long time!.

as for the other thing, Shhhhhh! Getting olds gotta be good for something!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think the only way to have the targets print out the same size for everyone is to convert it to Adobe Acrobat format (.pdf)and let everyone print it out with Adobe Reader.

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
Why and how is that going to be any different?

If your printer will do what you tell it to, they should all come out the same. since it is all figured on one inch equals 100 pixels, and the .jpg file is 1100 pixels wide, and the paper is 11 inches, printing with no borders should give an exact size print.

That isn't to say we're not open to suggestions...if they work and the average person can decipher them. :D

·
Registered
814 Posts
OK, got the targets downloaded.

The size wasn't an exact match, but since everything came out a tad smaller, who's complaining? = If I chance to score a WHOLE LOT of "Rimshots", disregard the aforementioned statement! ;) :rolleyes:
Good enough for a first time attempt... Just get some results posted to get this thing off the ground:t :D

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
new here

and i need a little more explanation. What is exactly sihouette shooting. I havent ever done any "competition" shooting at any time. By my reading and assumptions it is shooting at animal shaped targets from standing/kneeling/prone positions. Is this correct. My gun (cz 452 silhouette all stock) is a great hunter, but not great to try and sit on the rest with. Now standing or sitting and trying to shoot at critters sounds like fun. Can this be done under 50 yards? Thanx for your patience and explanations.

sharky

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sharkman8810,

Your right about the animal silhouettes, but for rimfire we shoot them all standing. There are four targets, a chicken, a pig, a turkey and a ram. Each target is put at a different distance. In our match the chicken (smallest target) is put at 44 yards, The Ram (largest target) is put at 110 yards. (a provision for shooting the ram at 100 yards is made in the instructions) Normal Silhouette matchs are shot on steal targets, but one thing we've never been called is normal so our matches are shoot with paper targets. Keeps costs down and lets anyone play. We provide the images of the targets and you print your own.

Our matches are informal and honor bassed. You do not have to pay any entry fees, or submit your targets to an official for scoreing, and there are no prizes. It is a freindly compitition that is good practice and good comraderie. We do it to have fun and It's a really good, low pressure, low cost (initially), way to get started in competitive shooting. See Obx22's post for the link to get the rules and targets downloads. This is truly a no risk, trial offer type of deal. IF you try it and don't think it's for you. You are out nothing but some time and a few sheets of paper from your printer. At worst you'll end up with some extra targets to plink at!

Gordan. I brought up the 110 yard range problem to Obx22 when he first consulted me about this match. He has included a solution to it in the instructions he sends out for the match

I'm thinking that if you take a full sized target and reduce it by 9% you will have the correct target for 100 yards but my math may be suspect. (100/110 = 90.9%) Obx just says to shoot the target at 100 yards and let him know in your email. And if your a recognized bench shooter, he'll deduct 20 points from your score.

BTW Gordan, that chicken don't have no foot! But if you shoot it in the base, as long as the hit is completly in the black, then yes, it counts. Kinda makes up for if you hit it high on the back and your hit is partially in the white, it doesn't count even though it might have taken a steal plate down.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.