Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I've got a used one that I got from Sinclair (I think I've still got that thing). Sorting never did nearly as much for my shooting as practicing, so I gave it up and now practice more. The thing about sorting is that it will help crumby ammo, but it won't make that crumby ammo shoot like match ammo. Sorting doesn't do much at all for quality match ammo. Better to just buy the good stuff. Good luck.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I made a rim guage out of a .243 Win case and used my caliper to measure rim thickness. It didn't cost me anything , but I quit using it after a short time because it was a time consuming process that didn't really seem to pay off at the shooting bench. I definitely wouldn't pay the $50 the rim guages I've seen advertised cost.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have to agree with the others....I did get good results with bulk lower grade ammo just for fun shooting and eliminating some uncalled flyers but still not up to lower end target ammo results....and when I tried to sort the better grade ammo it was a waste of time as the good ammo was very consisitant and equal........on the lower end target ammo it seems to help slightly with the grouping but only if you have the time and the time spent is less valuable than the money saved on the lower end target ammo.....now I have more time than money so I still try sorting and weight sort the lower end target ammo........HTH...good luck and good shooting....with itty bitty round groups!!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
A fellow named Neil Jones (here in PA) makes/sells an ingenious device for sorting .22 ammo by rim thickness. You can look him up or go to Rimfire Sports (a sponsor) who offers it for (I think) about $53.

This "guage" takes the pain out of rim-sorting since it is extremely fast and easy to use. Its well made and I recommend it if you want to get into this. Those with a life need not apply!

A digital scale (see Midway) is a very fast and easy way to further sort by weight.

Is this anal or what? (I need a life........soon!)

I've just started playing this "game" and see only marginal (if any) group improvements with WMT. Federal lightnings, though, seem to like to be sorted (fewer fliers). This concurs with the conventional wisdom on this topic.

Here in PA, the winters are not great for outdoor-range shooting. Sorting is a winter (only) pastime. If you want to try it, buy the above "tools" and a couple of bricks of the cheap-stuff. Music, beer and blizzards complete the scene.

Ohcsim

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Combine Neil Jones' & Paco's tool. Here is how:

When time allows I combine:

A. Sorting cheap ammo with the Neil Jones .22 RFG (to eliminate flyers) into separate rim sizes,

with

B. Accurizing the sorted rounds with the Acu'rzer/Nasti-Nose die tool, made by Paco.

The results are surprizing.

Without fliers, the sorted/accurized (cheap) fooder prints never-before-seen tight groups.

I don't bother accurizing the "irregular" (very thick) rimmed rounds, simply because they do not fit flush into the acu'rzer tool for proper modification. This is further proof that the Neil Jones' and Paco's rimfire tools, although diverse in their quest for rimfire accuracy, can be used in conjunction and produce the goods.

Since I started this combined technique, I haven't looked back.

Now all my guns shoot straight, even when I don't!

Crete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.